Suzuki DF15 flush hole stripped. HELP

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by HighPlainsDrifter, Apr 27, 2014.

1. HighPlainsDrifter

HighPlainsDrifter I Love microskiff.com!

I managed to strip the hole that the the flush adaptor goes into on my 2008 DF15. The hole is located in the gear housing and I would love to fix rather than replace the housing as its over $500 for a new one.  I tried re-tapping it to 10mm, but that did not work. The hole is too shallow for the tap to get in there and bite.  By the time the tap starts to bite, its bottoming out.

If anyone has a solution, I am all ears and very grateful for your time.

2. HighPlainsDrifter

I ended up using a helical thread insert and that did the trick! Nifty little tool.

Which leads me to my next question:

Those little inserts come with a tang that breaks away and falls into the hole.  I was planning on leaving it intact as it wouldn't hurt anything but alas, it broke off anyway and fell into the hole.  How worried should I be about getting that out of there?

3. Skydiver

Skydiver I Love microskiff.com!

I am no expert but my concern would be that little piece of metal flying around inside the water jacket and finding its way into the impellar.

4. HaMm3r

HaMm3r Well-Known Member

Take a bendable drinking straw, duct tape it to the end of your shop vac hose and fish around in there until it gets sucked up.

5. HighPlainsDrifter

Just wanted to follow up on this. I fished the piece of metal out with a magnet and all is good.

6. jmrodandgun

jmrodandgun Well-Known Member

Since you were able to get it out with a magnet, it's not stainless so are you worried about the coil rusting?

7. HighPlainsDrifter

So far so good. The threads are clean and shiny.

8. Otterdog

Otterdog 2008 Gordon Waterman 16

HighPlains,

I would consider putting some anticorrosive grease on that. If magnetic, (steel) and now into a nonferrous metal you will get electrolysis and this may result in welding your bolt into the coil. You may want to run this by other forum readers. Nice fix, beats the heck out of $500 fix.

9. HighPlainsDrifter

The housing is ferrous as the magnet sticks to it as well. The helical coil is coated with something for sure as it has been 4+ months and it is as shiny as the day I installed it. I inspect it every time I use the boat and it continues to work and look flawless.

10. Otterdog

Otterdog 2008 Gordon Waterman 16

Sounds like you did a proper cost effective repair. get out and catch some fish.