Suzuki DF140 repower - Outboard Specialities

Discussion in 'Big Boat Bragging Spot' started by iMacattack, Mar 9, 2015.

1. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

It was time to repower. The old 2-smoker was getting a little long in the tooth. After considering multiple outboards I ended my search with the Suzuki DF140. My decision was made difficult as I was very close to hanging the Etec 135HO. I reached out to multiple respected Captains I know running each outboard brand. Each were honest and upfront on what they thought. I could not be more appreciative of their input. Anyone who puts a couple thousand hours on their outboards will have plenty to good and bad to say.

In the end Suzuki for me edged out all others. I like the lower weight, smaller size and the fact it comes in white.

Took her out this weekend. Only about 4 hours on her but I'm liking it. Dead quiet at idle. I need to swap the prop with more pitch, spun up very quickly. Once I swap props and put some more hours on her I'll report back with performance numbers.

Outboard Specialties did the repower. I could not be happier. Mike & Mike did right!

Outboard Specialties
    2521 N Dixie Hwy
    Pompano Beach, Florida
    (954) 942-9898

https://www.facebook.com/outboardspecialties
    http://www.fixboat.com/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

Oweee that looks good.
    My only word of advise on the 140 is to check your oil everytime before and maybe after you use it. Reason being is they have a water cooled oil cooler that is a pretty well known failure point on those engines. It ends up pumping saltwater into the oil, or oil into the saltwater. No bueno

3. iMacattack

Hey Cut,

Yea I had a long discussion about this with a couple folks about the risk. Most recommended two items minimum of 5 minutes on the flush with the engine running to ensure the thermostat is opened and/or adding something like Salt-Away into the flushing activities.

Thanks ;D

Cheers
    Jan

4. Godzuki86

Godzuki86 FlounderPounder

What motor was on it before?

I love my fourstroke. My uncle had a DF140 on his action craft and it was always good to him and dead quiet too. Very smooth motors. Congrats and it looks nice on the scout!

Andy

5. iMacattack

1996 2.0 L V6 Mariner 150 2 smoker.

6. iMacattack

Well some numbers. 20mph @ 3000 RPM - 30mph @ 4000 RPM. WOT 46 MPH @ 5600 RPM. WOT is a little low for that outboard. Max RPM is 5900-6200. Currently spinning a 3 blade SS Suzuki (Solas I believe) 14 dia x 24 pitch. Going to try a 14x22 next.

Cheers

7. iMacattack

14x22 hung. Ran it yesterday. 6K RPM @ 45 MPH. 28 MPH @ 4K RPM. Hole shot felt very good.

8. iMacattack

So ran the 14x22 today. Ran good. Over all I've lost less than 5mph over the old engine. However even running between 4300-4900 RPM almost all day, covering nearly 65 miles I had a heck of a time stuffing just under 10 gallons of fuel back into the tank. WIN in my opinion!

9. crboggs

crboggs I Love microskiff.com!

Good to know...I am thinking about going from my old two stroke Merc 115 to a Suzuki DF140. 

My hull is rated to 150 but weight is a definite factor in my decision. 

What was the ballpark on the motor and rigging, if you don't mind...

10. iMacattack

What I found is that the cost depends on where you buy it. Depending on who you use I've seen high 10's low 12's depending.

11. captllama

captllama SeaHunter 18'

If you don't mind me asking what did you pay for the motor? Looks great