Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at short shaft Suz 25-30hp elec start w gas tilt assist, no power tilt n trim.

Two questions..

This particular Suz gas assist.. if a stump is hit at speed, this will allow the foot a controlled re entry into water rather than a hard slam on the transom? And during slow idle, will let motor slide over log/stump? Just want to be sure it works like the old Merc 40’s. Have not found Utube of this feature yet.

And I saw some YouTubes talking about prop chatter and stainless props.. is that really an issue? It appeared that maybe the shift linkage needed adjustment but not sure. One person mentioned this chatter was a known issue. I’ve been running small outboards forever and never heard of this until now.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
10 Posts
I dont think suzuki makes a short shaft 30hp so you would need to go with the 25hp if you need a short shaft.

The motor does chatter with stainless steel props but has never been an issue for me. Once you give the motor a little throttle it stops. I dont think it has anything to do with the shift linkage needing adjustment.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Yep, like isubarui said, no short shaft on the 30 horse even though it is the same powerhead. Some guys here have said you could change the ECM out on the 25 horse and make it a 30, but I don't know if anyone has actually done it. Also don't know how much the ECM cost and warranty implications.

Reactions: Fritz

·
I Love microskiff.com!
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont think suzuki makes a short shaft 30hp so you would need to go with the 25hp if you need a short shaft.

The motor does chatter with stainless steel props but has never been an issue for me. Once you give the motor a little throttle it stops. I dont think it has anything to do with the shift linkage needing adjustment.
thanks guys.... shortshaft 25 would be fine. I just can't get my head wrapped around this chatter. Would sure like to know what the root cause of this is. I really like this particular motor for my uses, but I have to run a stainless prop. Not to mention I like the profile better than any others.

Isubarui... is yours the gas assist or power trim/tilt ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts