SUV17 rear dry box gas shock

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by topnative2, Feb 17, 2012.

1. topnative2

topnative2 Well-Known Member

I am having a problem w/ the gas shock on my box in that it repeatedly comes off the pivot knob.
    I understand that this is a common problem.

Does anyone have a solution/suggestion?

thanks

2. Recidivists

Recidivists Looking towards the weekend!

Has the clip come out? I'm getting my SUV soon, so I can't comment as to the specific shock. Had problems with the retaining clips for the ball socket becoming worn and failing with my truck topper. Easy replacement, but a better shock might be a wise investment.

3. topnative2

It is a plastic clip the knob slides into. I am hoping someone has a tried and true remedy!!!

4. Recidivists

The socket may be a high density polyethylene but the clips are usually metal (open circle pushed around the shaft). Look around your rear dry box for remnant or full clip. It is a common problem for shocks, especially if there is torsion from even the minutest of improper angles of mounting, or flexing of mount material.

5. topnative2

The clip is plastic.I talked to Ankona awhile back and basically got--- yup it is a problem......

I am wondering if anyone has gone to the springs that are sold as hatch supports?

6. Recidivists

Get yourself some QUALITY shocks from Bansbach at www.easylift.com.  Their North American office is in Melbourne.  Best shock I've ever used.  Powder coats or stainless are available.  Metal sockets and clips.

P.S.: I don't think the springs will cushion the closing, just the opening of the hatch. Any 316 stainless socket with wire clips will be better than the nylon ones. You can just purchase the socket assemblies from Bansbach.

7. topnative2

excellent thanks for the info.

8. topnative2

I am going to ck w/ the shock manu. about getting new ends or different one---- be cheaper-I hope!

http://www.ameritoolmfg.com/store.asp?pid=11645&catid=19738

9. topnative2

stainlees replacement part for the plastic end cap is
    EFSS-10H
    Lewis Marine-stuart
    around $4
    ;D

10. Recidivists

11. Thread noted for when mine fail. :D

12. paint it black

paint it black Paddling away...

I need to find a way to add shocks to my Copperhead hatches.... One of the things I wish came on them...

I know Mel didn't want to just drill through the hatch, like Maverick does on their skiffs...

13. topnative2

I just put on the replacement ss ends and they are outstanding--- much more in line w/ the quality of the SUV. I would suggest a liltle (dielectric) grease in the assembly. It is a simple ingenius system.
    They look good to ;)

14. topnative2

The new ends work great-no failures--totally secure.
    I would just go ahead and replace the plastic ones and not worry about it --ever.