Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Lowcountry Degen
2021 Conchfish 17.8
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might have access to enough resin to do my whole skiff, but want to make sure that it isn't going to give me any issues. Has anyone used the Entropy resins? It seems to be geared more toward surfboards or wood boats due to the "clear" attribute, but I can't imagine it would be detrimental to building boats.

When comparing to the West System epoxy kits, it looks to be adequate in all areas except Tg, which I'm assuming is glass transition temperature, even though it's not a thermoplastic? I could be interpreting that wrong, since even the West System Tg seems low.

https://shop.fiberglasssupply.com/Entropy_Epoxies_Green_Surfboard_Epoxy.html
3 Qt. Kit SuperSap CLR/CLF Clear General Laminating Epoxy
Tensile Modulus 440,000psi
Tensile Strength 9,500psi
Elongation 5%
Flexural Modulus 440,000psi
Flexural Strength 13,500 psi
Compression Strength 11,330 psi
Tg Onset (F) 102
Tg Ultimate (F) 149
Hardness Shore D 70-80
Bio Based Carbon Content (%) 17
Mix Ratio by Volume 2:1
Mix Ratio By Weight 100:47
Viscosity (A/B/Mixed) @ 77F 1850/265/725
Pot Life @ 77F 25

https://shop.fiberglasssupply.com/WEST_System_Epoxy_Kits-WEST_System_105_Kits.html
206West System Epoxy Slow Hardener 1.2 Quart Kit.
Weight 3.1
Tensile Modulus 4.60E^5 psi
Tensile Strength 7,320 psi
Elongation 4.5%
Flexural Modulus 4.50E^5 psi
Flexural Strength 11,810 psi
Compression Strength 11,500 psi
Tg Onset (F) 126
Tg Ultimate (F) 139
Hardness Shore D 83
Viscosity (A/B/Mixed) @ 77F 725 @ 72F
Pot Life @ 77F 21.5

Can anyone offer any advice? I would hate to tell him that I can use it, but then end up using something else.

Thanks,

Bryson

·
Brandon, FL
12,303 Posts
I think you are close enough.

One thing that stands out to me is that they have actual numbers. Most out there have zip.

Check with them to ensure their numbers were tested by a third party and not derived from a formula based on mix ratios.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Should work fine. I’ve used both mas and raka and honestly they worked the same. I can’t inagine there are that many companies making the resin and hardner but rather many folks repackaging the same materials with different labels. I could be wrong on that too.

·
Brandon, FL
12,303 Posts
Should work fine. I’ve used both mas and raka and honestly they worked the same. I can’t inagine there are that many companies making the resin and hardner but rather many folks repackaging the same materials with different labels. I could be wrong on that too.
Pretty accurate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.