Supr Lube Trailer Bearing Grease Change Tip

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by MariettaMike, Jun 16, 2014.

1. MariettaMike

MariettaMike Wish'n I was Fish'n!

When I pulled in the driveway from my trip back from Little Gasparilla yesterday I felt the hubs on my boat trailer and found them nice and warm. Then I got the idea that this would be a good time to regrease them, so I got out the grease gun, a roll of shop towels, and put on some nitrile gloves.

After about 15-20 pumps of the grease gun I had a nice blob of the old grease coming out, and after a few more it was really easy to see the new grease had made the trip through the spindle, around the back, through the bearings, and back out the front. Instant gratification! (kinda like mowing the lawn.)

Was done with both hubs in 15 minutes tops.

Compared to having done this with the hubs cold, I think the viscosity difference from the grease temperature differential helps push the old grease out better.

[Sorry for not taking pics, I didn't want to get grease on my camera or my phone.]

2. Snookdaddy

Snookdaddy Well-Known Member

Pump the grease in slowly! I push out the rear seal on my trailer by pumping the grease gun too fast. It sound like you have a better idea by heating up the hubs a little before pumping grease.