Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m a fan of solid equipment on the water. I’ve pretty much always worn a pair of glass Costas either blue or green lenses. Are brands like Smith or Maui Jim any better to actually see fish.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I have had my Smith Moguls (glass lenses) since 2007. They have been fishing in Fl three times, Hawaii, Colorado numerous times, countless trips in my backyard. The frames are showing their age, but the lenses are still flawless, but I take care of my stuff. I need a new pair of Rx glasses now. I intend to go with Smith again.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've had both Smith Chromapop and Costa. Unfortunately I lost the Smiths overboard, and decided to go with Costa since they were cheaper. That was mistake, to me the Smith sunglasses are much clearer especially in low light conditions.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I have worn a mix of Smith, Ocean Waves and Costas but for probably the last 8 years I have worn Costa Blackfins and mainly because they fit my face perfectly. I believe all of the major brands have great lens technology, customer service...etc. The Green Mirror in the Blackfin frame just work for me and I have no reason to change.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have worn a mix of Smith, Ocean Waves and Costas but for probably the last 8 years I have worn Costa Blackfins and mainly because they fit my face perfectly. I believe all of the major brands have great lens technology, customer service...etc. The Green Mirror in the Blackfin frame just work for me and I have no reason to change.
I agree about the fit of of the Blackfins. The Smith Guides Choice would start huring my ears after a few hours.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I don't know the name but have Smith glass lenses. They are harder to scratch and have held up well to daily use over the past 1.5 yrs. Being over 40, they do cause some distortion for up close vision, probably because they are better for seeing at a distance. No issues with the Smith's whatsoever. They are heavier with the glass but the scratch resistance is worth it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I wear the Maui Jim Big Cahunas with poly prescription lenses. I used to have glass lenses but this script I replaced them with poly. The colors still pop.
When I decided to get a good pair of sunglasses years ago I called several ophthalmologist that did the lasic surgery and asked who had the best polarization on the market. All said that Maui and Costa were the best. I went with the Maui Jim’s. That was quite a few years ago and I’m sure there are plenty more out there now but it’s hard for me to replace the ones I have.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
114 Posts
Same here. I've had the prescription Blackfins for awhile and love the fit and full eye protection.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys! I’ve spent years “looking” at fish either rod and reel stuff or net fishing. Always wondered if I could see better at distance with another pair. I guess the only way is to try something different.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Something else to consider when spending a chunk of change on glasses is warranty. As mentioned I have both Costa and Smith and have worked with both warranty departments on multiple occasions. My experience with Costa has been hit or miss, mostly positive. My experience with Smith has always been great. Not sure if everyone else has had the same experience, but I think it's something to consider.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,973 Posts
I wear the Maui Jim Big Cahunas with poly prescription lenses. I used to have glass lenses but this script I replaced them with poly. The colors still pop.
When I decided to get a good pair of sunglasses years ago I called several ophthalmologist that did the lasic surgery and asked who had the best polarization on the market. All said that Maui and Costa were the best. I went with the Maui Jim’s. That was quite a few years ago and I’m sure there are plenty more out there now but it’s hard for me to replace the ones I have.
Maui Jim's. Amber sight fish reds in SE Louisiana marsh ponds dark mud bottoms

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Something else to consider when spending a chunk of change on glasses is warranty. As mentioned I have both Costa and Smith and have worked with both warranty departments on multiple occasions. My experience with Costa has been hit or miss, mostly positive. My experience with Smith has always been great. Not sure if everyone else has had the same experience, but I think it's something to consider.
I had one hinge issue with my Smith's in all of these years. My model had been discontinued. Smith said to send them in and if they couldn't repair them, I could pick anything from their current lineup. They ended up being able to fix mine and I got them back within like 5-7 business days.

·
Registered
718 Posts
just got two new pairs back from smith.had them a couple years a piece and had some small delamination on the bottom of the lenses from wiping water off as we all do when fishing.while it wasnt always a microfiber towel like they say to clean them with there was no issues returning them. sent them in and 2 new pairs were shipped back. now thats awesome! mine were also discontinued and they gave me credit like they were new

·
Registered
984 Posts
I really like the Smith Chromapop lenses, but I've had good luck with Costas as well.
Very simliar experience here. I lost my costas though. I really like the Smiths I have the brown lens on the guide choice frames and have no complaints. I did really like how dark the costas were on the bright sunny days.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts