Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have several pair of Suncloud polarized sunglasses I use for fly fishing. They are made by Smith Optics. My current pair had the rubber come off the ear piece. I sent them back thinking they'd fix them. But that lifetime warranty kicked in and now their sending me a new pair of my choice.
Needless to say I'm a happy dude

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
If these companies would stop putting rubber on glasses we could stop sending them back. While on this subject. I have yet to find a retainer/cord worth a crap. They always end up slipping off the ear piece and/or the rubber material disintegrates or turns to goo.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Smith Guide series have a built in "retainer" that is removable. It is so damn hard to get off that I just leave it on at this point.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
341 Posts
If these companies would stop putting rubber on glasses we could stop sending them back. While on this subject. I have yet to find a retainer/cord worth a crap. They always end up slipping off the ear piece and/or the rubber material disintegrates or turns to goo.
No kidding. I'm a big lover of the Costa lens quality. But those damn rubber strips are guaranteed to come off. I just accept it to get the lenses.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but I’m in the market for a new pair of glasses. Anyone know how the Smiths compare to the Costas? I currently own a pair of Costas and I’ve been really happy with them but I’ve heard great things about Smith’s. I tried on some Maui’s and the lens quality seemed impressive but I’m just not a huge fan of the frame styles. Any insight is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I've seen guys drill a small hole at the end of the glasses arm and use these to attach to it. Use whatever you like for the cord
download.jpeg

·
Registered
'04 HB Devilray Merc 25 HP
1,047 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but I’m in the market for a new pair of glasses. Anyone know how the Smiths compare to the Costas? I currently own a pair of Costas and I’ve been really happy with them but I’ve heard great things about Smith’s. I tried on some Maui’s and the lens quality seemed impressive but I’m just not a huge fan of the frame styles. Any insight is appreciated.
try them on side by side. I have had the costas and smiths and they are great in different areas. I do need to send off my glasses to smith I think I have a lens that is de-laminating.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have both but admittedly, for inshore, I like my amber lensed Costas better. The chromapop lenses on Smith's work phenomenally for trout fishing clear water so to me that's where they shine.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
474 Posts
I have both but admittedly, for inshore, I like my amber lensed Costas better. The chromapop lenses on Smith's work phenomenally for trout fishing clear water so to me that's where they shine.
Smith also makes an amber lens that's excellent for flats/shallow water fishing called low light ignitor. I own several pairs of quality sunglasses and this has become my go to lens, although its designed primarily for low light conditions, it actually has better contrast than their copper lens even in the brightest conditions.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have several pairs of 580G Costas and there's no doubt the lenses are the best around. Day to day I wear a pair of Suncloud's though because they're so light and comfortable. Lens quality doesn't touch my Costas, but they're great for the money ($25 on sale).

·
Registered
210 Posts
Good to hear,
Smith also makes an amber lens that's excellent for flats/shallow water fishing called low light ignitor. I own several pairs of quality sunglasses and this has become my go to lens, although its designed primarily for low light conditions, it actually has better contrast than their copper lens even in the brightest conditions.
I might have to check those out!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I found another thread on here where the comparison of Smith and Costas was already had. It seems both are good and can’t really go wrong with either. I’m going to try to find a place to try on some smiths but I’m leaning towards sticking with Costas since I already know what I’m getting.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
421 Posts
Long time RX Costa owner who just recently bought a pair or RX Smiths. 2 months ago?

Initial impressions are-

Pro’s -the Smiths are noticeably lighter weight, cost about 1/3 less, more comfortable because of the light weight? and the lenses are crazy clear. Very impressed. Customer service during the ordering process was top notch. (Purchased direct from Smith)

Cons (maybe?) - being so much lighter may mean they wont last long as my Costa’s have and the blue Chromapop lenses are a bit bright compared to my blue Costa lenses. Not bad but definitely a different flavor. Probably just need to get used to them. Upcoming trip will tell the tale.

Overall happy but of the opinion that it’s too soon to tell if they’ll become my go to brand or end up making a very nice back up pair.

·
Registered
672 Posts
As a sunglass fanatic (according to the better half)... I have 2 Maui’s, 4 Costas, and 3 Smiths. Each have their pros and cons, and at the end of the day are all good quality. I like that the Smiths are always the lightest, Costa has more lense options for different conditions, but I choose to wear the Maui’s 99% of the time because I believe their lense clarity is far superior to the rest. I’ve dealt with Costa and Smith warranties and Smith is almost as good as PowerPole! Again, just a guy with an opinion

·
Brandon, FL
10,959 Posts
No kidding. I'm a big lover of the Costa lens quality. But those damn rubber strips are guaranteed to come off. I just accept it to get the lenses.
Costa will fix them for free. Mine have been sent back 2 or 3 times and about to go back again.

I also have a pair that has never seen sunscreen and they have lasted a long time and no sign of disintegrating.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts