Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

· Registered
61 Posts
Did you ever realize it pisses fisherman off that just out on the water to get away from the landlubber shit.

Lately I’ve been harassed by drones tryiing to potluck some of my honey holes

I have 12, 20 and 28 ga o/u’s I use to shoot clays. Would those work? Would the 28 be mor sporting? 6, 7 or 8 shot? Steel or lead?.

· Registered
369 Posts
didnt realize it was illegal. I catch and release so wanted to mostly use the drone to catch footage of fly casting. Thanks everyone
If you get one, I would encourage you to make a personal commitment for filming use only. Don't be that guy who flies it around looking for fish and then go over to them, seen this happening and it sucks

· Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
17,741 Posts
If you get one, I would encourage you to make a personal commitment for filming use only. Don't be that guy who flies it around looking for fish and then go over to them, seen this happening and it sucks
It’s lazy and there is no excuse for it. If you can’t pole a shoreline and find fish to cast at you should probably hang it up and take up golf or something.

· Registered
Perfection Challenger / East Cape Glide
184 Posts
Now that the YouTubers have promoted it I think we are going to see a lot more drones "fishing".

People here were using them this fall during the mullet run. They'd park and run the drone 3-5 miles up to see if there was any bait being busted. Rinse and repeat till they found a school. I've seen a few guides using them as well to spot snook in the river. I guess it's no different than the guys who'd use planes to find tarpon migrating. It is annoying as hell though.

Thankfully they are banned in national parks.

· Registered
852 Posts
I don't like the idea, but if it ain't illegal there ain't much we can do about it. Many will see a drone as another tool, like side and forward looking fish finders and 360 degree sonar has become.

Many fishing shows you watch on tv or streaming services today have some great over-head shots from drone footage.. I'd guess they do take advantage of using the dron for scouting for many of those shallow water locations while shooting and scouting for that perfect shot.

· Registered
2022 Skimmer Skiff 16’6” - 2022 Suzuki DF60A
228 Posts
I don't like the idea, but if it ain't illegal there ain't much we can do about it. Many will see a drone as another tool, like side and forward looking fish finders and 360 degree sonar has become.

Many fishing shows you watch on tv or streaming services today have some great over-head shots from drone footage.. I'd guess they do take advantage of using the dron for scouting for many of those shallow water locations while shooting and scouting for that perfect shot.
It’s just another thing for people to complain about.

· Registered
2007 Gordon Waterman , plus beat up J16 and unfinished Gheenoe project sitting in the "boneyard"
1,201 Posts
21 - 40 of 52 Posts