Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
81 - 100 of 101 Posts

· Registered
2007 Gordon Waterman , plus beat up J16 and unfinished Gheenoe project sitting in the "boneyard"
1,253 Posts
The pity of it is that this discussion is happening in the "Fly Fishing" section. For me, and quite a few others that I know, part of what drew me to fly fishing were the additional challenges it presented over throwing bait, or even lures on conventional tackle. The fact is that becoming proficient at fly casting requires a bit more work and practice than doing the same with a spinning rod, and the need to be a better waterman, quieter on the approach etc. It's just baffles me how someone who prefers the additional challenge of fly fishing will then want to use a drone to find or spot fish. In Louisiana there's a regulation on the books that says it's illegal to use any form of aerial surveillance to aid in "harvesting fish" but I've never seen or even heard of it being enforced.

· Registered
2,444 Posts
The pity of it is that this discussion is happening in the "Fly Fishing" section. For me, and quite a few others that I know, part of what drew me to fly fishing were the additional challenges it presented over throwing bait, or even lures on conventional tackle. The fact is that becoming proficient at fly casting requires a bit more work and practice than doing the same with a spinning rod, and the need to be a better waterman, quieter on the approach etc. It's just baffles me how someone who prefers the additional challenge of fly fishing will then want to use a drone to find or spot fish. In Louisiana there's a regulation on the books that says it's illegal to use any form of aerial surveillance to aid in "harvesting fish" but I've never seen or even heard of it being enforced.
Great point! I do however like the drone footage used in some of the fishing videos. Those aerial views create an interesting perspective especially when they’re not scouting for fish.

· Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
18,803 Posts
I saw a video from the Everglades with two guys throwing live mullet and big topwater plugs at big laid up snook. They had a drone and a set of goggles to find the snook then use the goggle footage to “sight cast” the snook that were too far to see from the skiff just using their line of sight. Somewhere amongst all these…

· Registered
2020 Chittum Mangrove
1,585 Posts
I saw a video from the Everglades with two guys throwing live mullet and big topwater plugs at big laid up snook. They had a drone and a set of goggles to find the snook then use the goggle footage to “sight cast” the snook that were too far to see from the skiff just using their line of sight. Somewhere amongst all these…

That's BS should be outlawed.

· Registered
2007 Gordon Waterman , plus beat up J16 and unfinished Gheenoe project sitting in the "boneyard"
1,253 Posts

[Turning on old man "get off my lawn font"] Sadly it seems that for many it has become only about "catching" and not about the experience, learning, solving problems or overcoming challenges and they seek out the shortest path to that end. I don't think I would enjoy fishing nearly as much as I do if those elements were removed, in fact the "problem solving" and "figuring things out" is my favorite part [/crotchety old man font]

· Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
18,803 Posts
[Turning on old man "get off my lawn font"] Sadly it seems that for many it has become only about "catching" and not about the experience, learning, solving problems or overcoming challenges and they seek out the shortest path to that end. I don't think I would enjoy fishing nearly as much as I do if those elements were removed, in fact the "problem solving" and "figuring things out" is my favorite part [/crotchety old man font]
Same

81 - 100 of 101 Posts