Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Suggestions for weapon to shoot down drones

4501 82
Lately I’ve been harassed by drones tryiing to potluck some of my honey holes

I have 12, 20 and 28 ga o/u’s I use to shoot clays. Would those work? Would the 28 be mor sporting? 6, 7 or 8 shot? Steel or lead?.
61 - 80 of 83 Posts

· Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
17,742 Posts
No I won't stop. Please tell me how you would decide these types of issues rather than just toss around insults. So typical of your behavior even though most of the time I agree with your premise.
How is that an insult? Stop (at the store) and get a King Size Snickers…that was banter that you took wrong so I included in parenthesis what I left out to offer more context to help you understand what I meant.

Just about anything and everything can be abused. How about instead of needing people to regulate us with more laws and restrictions we use our common sense and common courtesy to make good decisions? There are enough laws and restrictions in place that don’t get enforced. Does this sound familiar (cue up the 2nd Amendment)…There’s not a single level headed fisherman that thinks burning a flat with a skiff or airboat is ok except for the self centered jackass behind the helm and that goes for entitled drivers on the public roadways and guys that think scouting for fish with a drone and buzzing other fishermen is ok. Read the comments from others discussing methods to take them down…It’s selfish, lazy and pisses people off. There’s nothing wrong with the advancement of technology but to what end? What’s wrong with quietly poling a shoreline looking for fish without music or talking like you’re at a rock concert? Can we have a place we can go and enjoy the serenity God made these days without obnoxious people trying to make it all mainstream and inviting the masses to these areas? Do you know why the coastal waterways are trashed up and have water quality issues? Too many people and too many making bad decisions and flocking to coastal areas. We used to be able to launch the boat and catch fish a minute or two from the ramp but now it’s like a crowded supermarket with dudes getting drunk, burning every shoreline in sight while blaring their crappy music like everyone for a couple of miles wants to join their party. I now fish during the week if at all possible and run fifteen or twenty minutes to get away from the googans and even then I’m getting burned and people are acting like jackasses because they saw how cool it was to run skinny (I patented a shallow water pickup system) and blast music with their portable bluetooth speakers and maybe stop and catch a fish or two to take a photo for social media like they deserve some sort of virtual acceptance for doing what a lot of us have been doing since before it was cool. There are some people on the water and at the ramp that know how to act but those dudes seem to be getting outnumbered by social media broastaff whores and dudes that really don’t give a damn about other folks that are trying to just enjoy a day on the water and not bother others that are doing the same. This is nothing new, it seems to be human nature that left unchecked gets out of hand.

The bottom line and answer to your question and solution to your problem is people need to be able to make good decisions and if they don’t they need to have someone lead by example and they can learn how not to be inconsiderate pricks on the water. If that means calling them out so be it. We’ve probably all had someone call us out at one time or another and we deserved it and learned from it. Be considerate…it’s that simple.

Happy Thanksgiving, I’m headed to eat some turkey I missed while I was at work today.

· I Love microskiff.com!
1820 Action Craft
1,108 Posts
While I agree with the concept duck hunters have debated this for ever. What technology is ok and who decides?
Is your light weight skiff ok? It after all is technology far and above a metal or wood boat?
Is you outboard motor ok or do you have to go back to oars?
Is you sealed drag or even cork drag fly reel ok or do you need to go back to...all the way to a can with the line wrapped around it?
Is it ok to use a GPS and satellite mapping imagery?
And on and on and on.

I don't know the answer but this isn't as an easy concept as it sounds.
It's not the drone that is the problem, it is the A'hole behind the controller that has it hovering over people.

· Registered
309 Posts
SmackDaddy I couldn’t have said it better. Forty five years ago, when I was fishing Biscayne Bay for bones, etc, you could expect to find them on every good tide in all the right places. For the last 30 years you can expect to find a bunch of beer drinking, loud music playing, inconsiderate parttiers on half of the good flats. Life in the US is getting more and more complicated as more and more people crowd up our wild places. It’s standard practice on this MICRO SKIFF FORUM, to have large skiffs or bay boats with huge engines, all kinds of electronics, radios for music, LIDAR and all kinds of other gizmos. I am still living in the past with my small micro skiff and 20hp engine, no electronics except my cell phone. I prefer to pole onto a flat even if it takes half an hour. During that half hour I am zoning in on all the nature around me and occupying my thought with tailing or crawling reds in the marsh, wading birds and raptors with all of the natural sounds that come with that. It’s my church. I think I might be part of a shrinking population on this Micro Skiff forum.
Water Sky Boat Cloud Watercraft

17,742 Posts
SmackDaddy I couldn’t have said it better. Forty five years ago, when I was fishing Biscayne Bay for bones, etc, you could expect to find them on every good tide in all the right places. For the last 30 years you can expect to find a bunch of beer drinking, loud music playing, inconsiderate parttiers on half of the good flats. Life in the US is getting more and more complicated as more and more people crowd up our wild places. It’s standard practice on this MICRO SKIFF FORUM, to have large skiffs or bay boats with huge engines, all kinds of electronics, radios for music, LIDAR and all kinds of other gizmos. I am still living in the past with my small micro skiff and 20hp engine, no electronics except my cell phone. I prefer to pole onto a flat even if it takes half an hour. During that half hour I am zoning in on all the nature around me and occupying my thought with tailing or crawling reds in the marsh, wading birds and raptors with all of the natural sounds that come with that. It’s my church. I think I might be part of a shrinking population on this Micro Skiff forum. View attachment 224057
We don’t have to agree on everything but it seems like we are on the same page here. I still think you should look into a red push pole flag…haha

· Registered
309 Posts
I’ve been training bald eagles and spotted owls to fly into the blades, kills the bird unfortunately but takes the drone down.
I have some trainees for you. They are about half-trained but you can take them all the way.
Bird Sky Accipitridae Beak Falconiformes

· Registered
2020 Chittum Laguna Madre 2
76 Posts
Lately I’ve been harassed by drones tryiing to potluck some of my honey holes

I have 12, 20 and 28 ga o/u’s I use to shoot clays. Would those work? Would the 28 be mor sporting? 6, 7 or 8 shot? Steel or lead?.
Sounds like a fun cast and blast day
SmackDaddy I couldn’t have said it better. Forty five years ago, when I was fishing Biscayne Bay for bones, etc, you could expect to find them on every good tide in all the right places. For the last 30 years you can expect to find a bunch of beer drinking, loud music playing, inconsiderate parttiers on half of the good flats. Life in the US is getting more and more complicated as more and more people crowd up our wild places. It’s standard practice on this MICRO SKIFF FORUM, to have large skiffs or bay boats with huge engines, all kinds of electronics, radios for music, LIDAR and all kinds of other gizmos. I am still living in the past with my small micro skiff and 20hp engine, no electronics except my cell phone. I prefer to pole onto a flat even if it takes half an hour. During that half hour I am zoning in on all the nature around me and occupying my thought with tailing or crawling reds in the marsh, wading birds and raptors with all of the natural sounds that come with that. It’s my church. I think I might be part of a shrinking population on this Micro Skiff forum. View attachment 224057
Sadly I do believe you are spot-on correct. BTW beautiful image.

· I Love microskiff.com!
35 Posts
If you are fishing in a national park use of a drone is illegal.

How close is this drone to you?

If a drone was buzzing my boat in a unsafe manner I would bring it down. My safety over their rights. Record the take down on your phone demonstrating the safety issue. (Dive bomb/potential antenna strike/clear demo of imminent Safety issue). Submitt the take down on the FAA app. The FAA will know the serial numbers of drones in area.

The FAA Drone flight “authorization” app is B4UFLY. This is a realtime app (approval based on real-time airspace). This is required prior to ALL drone flights. During an authorized flight the operator is required to have visual contact with the drone during entire flight.

I would stay very far away from an unprovoked drone take down…FAA flight monitoring/enforcement plus 4K drone footage streaming live…no win.

· Boatless looking to learn skinny :)
38 Posts
A Drone is considered a sUAS - small Unmanned Aircraft System by the FAA.

I am obtaining my CFR 107 which allows you to legally fly a drone for compensation. Drone come under the FAA and they take them seriously. If you crash your drone into a car and the damage is more than $500 you are required to report it to the FAA and file a claim.

As mentioned before, there is an APP called B4Ufly and anyone flying in the park, Biscayne bay park or other designated areas around airports etc. will come under investigation by the FAA. During the Pandemic, the FAA was going after people posting on Youtube showing their drone footage and if it had an adverstisement etc. it could be considered for compensation and they caught several people in violation of the law. Don't even think about flying a drone near an airport and the max height is 400 feet and must be kept in the VLOS - Visual Line Of Sight.

While it's something to be macho about and say, I'm gonna shoot down the drone, realize it's considered an Aircraft and the penalties are severe.

Keep in mind that it is a federal crime to shoot at an aircraft, including shooting at your drone, no matter if it is a Firearm, Crossbow, or even a Pellet gun. The penalties can be severe, in some cases with penalties of 20 years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

Unless there there is a proven danger you'll be hard pressed wining the argument.

A drone pilot who is buzzing you should be reported to local law enforcement or call the nearest FAA tower.

DC

17,742 Posts
A Drone is considered a sUAS - small Unmanned Aircraft System by the FAA.

I am obtaining my CFR 107 which allows you to legally fly a drone for compensation. Drone come under the FAA and they take them seriously. If you crash your drone into a car and the damage is more than $500 you are required to report it to the FAA and file a claim.

As mentioned before, there is an APP called B4Ufly and anyone flying in the park, Biscayne bay park or other designated areas around airports etc. will come under investigation by the FAA. During the Pandemic, the FAA was going after people posting on Youtube showing their drone footage and if it had an adverstisement etc. it could be considered for compensation and they caught several people in violation of the law. Don't even think about flying a drone near an airport and the max height is 400 feet and must be kept in the VLOS - Visual Line Of Sight.

While it's something to be macho about and say, I'm gonna shoot down the drone, realize it's considered an Aircraft and the penalties are severe.

Keep in mind that it is a federal crime to shoot at an aircraft, including shooting at your drone, no matter if it is a Firearm, Crossbow, or even a Pellet gun. The penalties can be severe, in some cases with penalties of 20 years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

Unless there there is a proven danger you'll be hard pressed wining the argument.

A drone pilot who is buzzing you should be reported to local law enforcement or call the nearest FAA tower.

DC
I’m glad jet skis aren’t considered aircraft

· Premium Member
1984 Aqua Sport Osprey: Restoration in Progress
192 Posts

While that may be the "correct" thing to do, it will seldom be the effective thing to do.

What are the odds the offender will be penalized? I'd say slim to none. This will not be a high-priority call for any law enforcement agency and the FAA is not likely to have the people to investigate while the moron is still in the air. Its not like a full-scale where you can get a tail number to report.

It's laws like this that entice people take the law into their own hands and that often gets messy. I believe there are some states where it is legal to take down a drone over your own private property but that does not apply here.

It's like the days when CB radios were popular. People overpowered their home sets which interfered with TV and wireless phones and the FCC didn't care because they didn't have the resources even though those sets were highly illegal. However, a straight pin across the shield and conductor causing a dead short was an effective remedy.

61 - 80 of 83 Posts