Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been out of the fly game for a while and looking for suggestions for an upgrade. Not a super experienced fly fisher but have caught plenty of fish on fly. Looking for something in the 9/10 wt range. Not looking for top shelf stuff but definitely “upper shelf”. I have an old orvis rod with a phleuger reel (7wt) and just looking for something bigger and better.

Exclusively saltwater, mainly snook and reds in southwest Florida is the target. Do some beach and wade fishing as well. Durability and quality is a must. I fish Stellas on custom rods for my spin gear and have had those combos for 10-15 years and have abused the crap out of them and they are always the best rods on the boat lol, even after more than a decade of work and getting dunked in salt water!

Open to all suggestions. Looking for a nice Lexus or Benz, not a Ferrari or Lambo

Thanks!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Tfo bvk. $250 rod great light rod for its class
Lamson liquid reel $100 again solid reel large arbor for the price.
Scientific angler general saltwater taper $90 a good line is as important or more important than anything else.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool I’ll look into it. A lot less than I was willing to spend so that’s a plus lol! Are those reels good at resisting the elements? I’ve been burned so many times with lesser quality tackle by friends and family that I’ll pony up for something that will last, especially since I’ll be wading and beach. Chances are at some point it will take a dunk or 2...

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
TFO Mangrove or Axiom 2 might work also. Suggest casting several to see what suits you. There is a lot of options out there. Buy the best reel you can afford. Line is important, as Sethsawyer says. You'll probably want several types after you start getting back into it. Spare spools will allow quick changes. Welcome back to the rabbit hole.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I was preparing to spend up to $800+ because I value good stuff. That said something a little more modest might work until I’m really psycho about it. I’ve always enjoyed it but always felt my outfit now was a little wimpy especially if the wind kicks up. It’s more of a freshwater outfit and I exclusively fish salt water now. I think I have a SA WF line on there. I can cast it OK but like mentioned looking to up my game.

·
Registered
310 Posts
My 800 dollar outfit would be

Tfo bvk $250
Lamson. Light speed. Reel $380 lighter fully anodized.
Scientific angler general saltwater $90 taper.
Cool accent colored backing $20

Where I fish most shots at fish are short (sub 50ft) and fast so I overline by one weight, but if I am fishing the beach or freshwater where I will consistently cast farther I will use standard line wts. Some lines are already over lined though so check first.

·
Registered
384 Posts
G Loomis has discontinued the NRX and you can most likely find one on sale in that weight. Good affordable reels would include Lamson, Galvan, Colton and some of the Nautilus models.

·
Fly-By-Night
3,182 Posts
Look into 3-Tand for a solid reel without breaking the bank.

I would also look to the 9wt for the fish you describe. If you're going to throw at poon of any size as well, go with a 10.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys. I’ll look into all those suggestions. $800-1000 is what I was planning all along. Don’t think I’ll be throwing at poons although I do see them from time to time. As far as I’m concerned that’s a whole different outfit.

Snook and reds are the primary target. Maybe some bones down the line. I primarily fish in the pine island area. Occasionally frequent keys but never fly fished there.

·
Registered
631 Posts
@rovster if you’re gonna buy new you may as well make a trip to a local fly shop. Most will let you try different rods/line combos, and give you guidance on what may fit your needs best. They can also give you some good insight on the area. Supporting your local shop is always a plus

1 - 12 of 12 Posts