Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Located in the charleston area and I'm in the market for a Gheenoe 15'4. Just wondering what HP I would need in order to get around the waters in the Lowcountry. Would sometimes be by myself with a dog and other times with one other person. Would a 9.9 by strong enough?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
217 Posts
Yes but beef up the transom and strap on a 25 and she'll ROLL. I beefed up mine and put a 1956 Fastwin on my 13 high sider and it went from boring with the 5.5 to a blast with the 15. I could plane off to about 30 with two adults trolling motor a battery and a cooler. Same gear with just me in the boat it got scary half throttle was over 35. Fun little boat perfect for the salt marshes of the low country. I wish I could find another one but prices have gotten stupid only paid 350 for mine WITH a galvanized trailer.

·
Registered
247 Posts
A 9.9 will push you along at 18-19 mph depending on how heavy you and the dog are. Add a passenger and it’ll drop to 16 mph.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My suggestion would be to see if you can borrow a 9.9 from someone and give it a try to see if it suits you. If you're not happy with a 9.9, then consider a 15. I used to run my 9.9 Merc on the back of my 15' Gheenoe and for me, full throttle with the 9.9 was faster than I wanted to go in the boat. Everyone has their own comfort level.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback y'all. Working on tight budget so a 9.9 works better. and with that being said, anyone know of a 15'4 for sale?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hey Lo
Glad to see you go with the 9.9 and think you will be happy with what it can do. Other considerations for going larger

1) That is all the boat is legally rated for and sometimes that becomes a factor if an accident occurs and you might be at risk even though the accident was not your fault.

2) The weight of a bigger motor is as much a consideration as HP on the 15'4" model due to the narrow transom.

3) Just because you can run a bigger motor doesn't always mean you should. Think losing your favorite shotgun in the salt marsh when the wind and the chop becomes a challenge.

4) Your skill level is not necessarily that of the driver. Think kids, friends and friends kids.....

Also do not leave out the 13' for a duck boat. I feel it is more stable, easier to conceal and really not that much smaller for usable space that the 15.

Good luck in you search

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had a Tohatsu 9.8 on my 15-4, worked well even with a rider. Calm waters and your fine. Any swell or chop, you might wish for a 15, even more so in a following sea where you need some poop behind ya .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Got a 9.9 yam 2 stroke on a Riverhawk B60 and have been very happy so far. In the past I've owned several old evinrude/johnson 15hp, if you can find one from 1974-1992 they are great. Just a 9.9 that revs higher, weighs same. Bulletproof

1 - 11 of 11 Posts