Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Fly-By-Night
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the best paint stripper to remove a coat of Awlgrip that didn't kick/harden properly? I bought some of the Dad's Easy Spray stripper, it works awesome, only problem is I tested it on a small spot and it popped the gelcoat off. No big deal because the spot I tested was small (quarter sized) and I have a few places to butter with putty anyhow. I am planning on trying the West Marine brand tomorrow, just looking for anyone with experience or ideas. I tried sanding but the paint gums up the sanding disk in about 5 min, but it's not soft enough to scrape with a scraper. I did have some success with the Dad's Easy Spray applied with a rag and then immediately wiped off with a wet rag......I quit this after thinking about the possibility of getting that stuff in a pin hole/spider crack and eating the gelcoat and creating more work. Any help would be greatly appreciated, this project has strung out for a long time and I'm ready to make some forward progress...
LH

·
Fly-By-Night
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to add, the paint has been sitting on the boat for about 2 yrs, not sure if that makes a difference.

·
Brandon, FL
9,323 Posts
A big pile of sanding discs. Mechanical removal is best as any stripper that will remove awlgrip will most likely harm gel.

·
BBA Counselor
6,759 Posts
Some guys use easy off oven cleaner to remove bottom paint. Search it up on the old googleweb.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,399 Posts
Hope you find an easy solution. If you have some free time away from your project, can you elaborate on what went wrong with the awlgrip - if you happen to know?

I have plans to work with awlgrip over gelcoat in the near future, and in the meantime I'm stock piling as many success and failure stories as possible.

Thanks

·
Fly-By-Night
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hope you find an easy solution. If you have some free time away from your project, can you elaborate on what went wrong with the awlgrip - if you happen to know?

I have plans to work with awlgrip over gelcoat in the near future, and in the meantime I'm stock piling as many success and failure stories as possible.

Thanks
This stripper is working great kind of expensive but most strippers are...Sorry I'm not sure what failed, I'm not the one who painted it. I am assuming that he didn't get the mix right or used an incompatible thinner. I can say I wouldn't wish uncured paint removal on anyone. The outside of the boat has awlgrip sides and VC Performance on the bottom, which both turned out fine.

The boat is an 82' Mako 224 had it for about 3 years, it's about 75% restored. Slowly pecking away at the restore again after being away for work for quite a while. Mostly cosmetic stuff and a bit of wiring left, everything below the rubrail is done.
LH

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,399 Posts
This stripper is working great kind of expensive but most strippers are...Sorry I'm not sure what failed, I'm not the one who painted it. I am assuming that he didn't get the mix right or used an incompatible thinner. I can say I wouldn't wish uncured paint removal on anyone. The outside of the boat has awlgrip sides and VC Performance on the bottom, which both turned out fine.

The boat is an 82' Mako 224 had it for about 3 years, it's about 75% restored. Slowly pecking away at the restore again after being away for work for quite a while. Mostly cosmetic stuff and a bit of wiring left, everything below the rubrail is done.
LH
Understood. Thanks for sharing what you can and good
luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts