Stringer question

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by Bush_Whacker, May 1, 2011.

1. Bush_Whacker

Bush_Whacker I Love microskiff.com!

I know most use plywood for stringers, but would it be okay to use 2x3's? If I found straight 2x's and ripped them in half length-ways to make two stringers out of each 2x? My reasoning is that the distance from transom to blukhead is just over 9 feet. If I used plywood, I'd have to two-piece each length. 2x's, I could get in 10 footers.

The picture below shows where a 2x4 and a 2x3 ends up height wise. The 2x3 would be perfect. With a 1/2" sole it would leave a slight lip to avoid any water flowing into the front area. There will be cut-outs at the bottom of the bulkhead to allow any water in the hatch area to flow under the sole to the bilge......thats the plan anyway. ;)

Other than a slight weight difference, what are the cons to using 2x's? Flex?
    Is 3 inches going to be enough height for the stringers?

Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Aside from pine not being a good choice your thought process is.

In your small ship it is not what material you use for a stringer but the stringer itself. You can use foam if you wanted because after you cover the foam three times with glass then that glass is what is really the stringer and what is inside is just a form to create the shape of the stringer.

3. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

I considered using 1x's on my boat, but the plywood is much more stable and stronger, and a simple butt block will join the pieces together. Plus it is very hard to find straight boards over 6ft imo.

EDIT: the second part of your messege and picture didn't show before. The lip to the front area won't do much to keep water out and it won't be very tall after you put the sole in. you must find a way to maintain good drainage to the bilge from front to back.

4. Bush_Whacker

Bush_Whacker I Love microskiff.com!

Thanks for the advice guys.

firecat-I think there will be sufficient drainage to the bilge. As mentioned, there will be a couple cut-outs at the bottom of the bulkhead panel to allow any water that gets under the bow deck to flow under the sole back to the bilge.

As for the lip, the 2"x3" I have setting there is actually only 2 1/2" high. That leaves 1" to the top of the lip. a 1/2" plywood sole and glass will make the the lip less than a 1/2" high. I'm not looking for it to stop alot of water to flow in, just the occasional "spill" from bait buckets, live well, cast nets, beer, etc.

5. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

2.5" is a standard for a 3" piece of lumber, a 2x4 would only be 3.5" high too, never understood why they did that. A 1/2" lip really won't keep much out, it would need to be more like 2" high to stop anything which is why I didn't bother on mine. Remember to lay some thin glass over the edges of the opening or it may check and split on you even with resin on it.

6. noeettica

noeettica Well-Known Member

You could use pvc pipe ripped down the middle ...