Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use indicators sometimes due to the fact that I can't see worth a crap. I have used a lot of them out there and the Kahuna LT seems to be the ticket for me. It's easy to adjust depth and stays in place well. I blind cast as much as sight cast and it helps for a number of reasons in my opinion. One would be the obvious. It's easy to see on long casts but mainly when you are casting into the sun or low light. Second and what I like the most is line recovery. What I mean by that is this. Say your stripping your fly back and it comes in contact with a grass patch. It will pull the end of your fly line under and a lot of times it will stay down and not recover to the surface. I may be way off but I feel like it could run over fish and spook them before the bite. To me the Kahuna LT seemed to influence my cast the least but still floats really high.

·
Registered
201 Posts
You are using them nymphing for trout? Or in salt? I haven’t heard of using strike indicators in the salt unless you count bobbers when bait fishing.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've used them in a lot of applications. I have used them in saltwater when bling casting in stained water. I really have a hard time seeing the end of my fly line some times. There have been times when I go to strip and I would have a fish on but miss them. I know that happens to everybody but I have seen some really shy bites using the indicator. Also like I stated in the other post, when blind casting in salt water it brings the tip of my line back to the surface if it's pulled under.

I use it when fishing for crappie with a fly rod as well. It's depth can be adjusted pretty easily and it stays in place.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Use a large Thingamabobber like a popping cork sometimes. Also can be useful when current/tide is running strong. Never saw the Kahuna before, might have to try it.

·
Premium Member
1,674 Posts
seen some really shy bites using the indicator
While I've never used an indicator, (bobbers :) )
I have witnessed their effectiveness, especially for trout. Amazing just how fast a trout can grab a nymph and then spit it out before you can set on em or even know you had a grab. Every once in awhile my dad and I would trek down to Grizzly Creek (bordered our property in the Sierras) to fish it. He consistently out fished me, sometimes as much as 4 to 1 when he used an "indicator".

·
Registered
201 Posts
I’ll have to try an indicator in the salt. Most of the time my target species (stripers, blues) do not sip they more crash a fly but I can see instances where it would be useful.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Of course I never use it sight fishing but it has come in handy plenty of other times. Don't get me wrong, I love when they smash it. But that's not always the case. I've tried a lot of different indicators over the years. This one is my favorite.

Reactions: Scrather
1 - 7 of 7 Posts