Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have a question for the rocket scientists. I have a 1997 115 Yamaha that has picked up a strange set of symptoms. It first began by noticing the motor would start on the muffs no problem in the driveway but when I got to ramp motor would not start for anything once boat was in water. The first time this happened I eventually got to start and as I was cruising out of the channel motor completely cut off on a plane, did this a couple more times throughout the day but I was able to fish and make it back no problems. However the next couple of times motor would start on muffs in driveway and not at all at the ramp when submerged.After some internet research I determined to be a funky kill switch grounding problem or something having to do with back pressure from exhaust. To diagnose, I tried starting motor with just muffs in driveway, started right up, set big cooler under lower unit full of water with muffs and hose still on, motor would not start for anything. This to me confirmed lower unit being submerged was problem, I disconnected white wire from kill switch on power pack and it started right up while submerged, thinking I’d found the problem I let it run for a while then it just cut out on it’s own without me touching that white wire back to connection point on power pack. Tried restarting with white wire still disconnected and nothing again, dicked with the wire a little bit, tried starting again and boom fired up again but only for another 20 or so seconds before it cut out again. I would think there is a short in this wire, but if I understand correctly the motor should not cut off until I retouch that wire to a ground. Also, how would you go about diagnosing exhaust back pressure creating an issue. Any insight or similar problems is appreciated. Thanks. Also all terminals and connections are clean, battery connections are clean, no hot wires that I have discovered

·
Banned
1,441 Posts
I had an old Johnson that would let water in thru cowl drain hole, whiles under way ,Causing shorts . Plugged holes Are you tilting motor at all? Water runs both ways Got a buddy with a bumblebee bass boat 90 horse Evinrude ,water goes halfway up the cowling when he launches the boat . Ive also had bad electrical that showed up when motor was cold. Not so much hot. Trial n error Good luck.

Wiggle everthing that will wiggle ,
All of us have had trouble w the muffs ...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts