Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready for a trip and found my liquid fusion coiled up on my tarpon reel. I am trying to stretch it but that's not working
Thought about sitting it in the sun but that would weaken my leader
I think I've read something about a bucket of soap

·
Registered
200 Posts
Here's trick I heard somewhere and have used with success to quickly stretch a fly line. I get a little bit of line out of the rod tip. Lay it over one of the bars on my roof rack (a poling platform would also work). Then holding the rod and leader end of the fly line, I walk away from the truck paying out line as I go until almost the whole line is off the reel. Now I grip the line at both ends and pull slowly to stretch the line (rod pointed back at the truck). This takes only a few minutes and presents minimum opportunity for tangles. All you need is a 50' clear line of sight to your bar.

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's trick I heard somewhere and have used with success to quickly stretch a fly line. I get a little bit of line out of the rod tip. Lay it over one of the bars on my roof rack (a poling platform would also work). Then holding the rod and leader end of the fly line, I walk away from the truck paying out line as I go until almost the whole line is off the reel. Now I grip the line at both ends and pull slowly to stretch the line (rod pointed back at the truck). This takes only a few minutes and presents minimum opportunity for tangles. All you need is a 50' clear line of sight to your bar.
Thanks I'll try that

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Another simple trick is to wait until you're finally on the water and running up on plane... remove any leader or fly, etc then just drag the entire fly line behind the skiff for a few minutes. You'll not only straighten it out - but also remove any twist in that line at the same time... Make sure you're staying up on plane and really putting some pressure on that line for a few minutes - then wind it back on and you should be in much better shape....

Another trick is something I do with my angler on the water when it's obvious that the line has a lot of memory coils in it. I have him (or her cast it as far as they can - then have them reach out the tip of their rod to me while we're at each end of the skiff - I grab the line - then have my angler pull on it while holding their reel so the spool can't slip as hard as they can with the rod pointing right at me. We hold that line until my hands hurt -then I have them strip in that ten or twelve feet of line and we work on the next section one at a time until the entire line is really stretched out and kink free... We'll repeat the exercise later on the trip if needed...

Of course a simple alternative is to hook up a big tarpon or shark and get your line professionally straightened out....

·
Registered
284 Posts
So earlier this week I reeled in my line in a hurry and it didn’t lay flat on my reel spool. I rinsed it down and tucked it in my car where it stayed the following day while I was at work. I park in an uncovered lot and it was mid 90s. When I stripped it out that afternoon it was kinked to hell and was borderline unusable. I tried stretching and dragging behind the boat but I think the kinks were named in because of the heat. My solution was to wind it back on the spool tightly and leave it in the car again in hopes of undoing the damage. Came out today after another hot one and wouldn’t ya know it, my line was about 95% back to normal. I then soaked it in a bucket of very warm and soapy water and cleaned and stretched it, and it was back to the condition it was pre-baking in my car.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1820 Action Craft
819 Posts
I loop it over the mirror on my truck, or casting platform in boat and pull on both ends to stretch it out. I also like to drag it behind the boat to get the twist out as Bob described.

G

·
Roof racks...wing mirrors....poling platforms....honestly? All you need to do is strip all the line off the reel and undo the loop to loop connection to your backing. Then loosely pass the line between your hands, not stretching it, and you will see twists forming which you just untwist TOWARDS the open end. Do that a few times before just stretching it between your hands a yard at a time. Then strip off 10 yards of backing and moving from the REEL end ONLY pass it between your hands untwisting any loops that form towards the free end. Put your line back on and your ready to go.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1820 Action Craft
819 Posts
Roof racks...wing mirrors....poling platforms....honestly? All you need to do is strip all the line off the reel and undo the loop to loop connection to your backing. Then loosely pass the line between your hands, not stretching it, and you will see twists forming which you just untwist TOWARDS the open end. Do that a few times before just stretching it between your hands a yard at a time. Then strip off 10 yards of backing and moving from the REEL end ONLY pass it between your hands untwisting any loops that form towards the free end. Put your line back on and your ready to go.
with all due respect, that takes a lot longer than just stretching it out, I can stretch the whole fly line around my casting platform in less than 2 minutes. I only drag it behind the boat for the twist when the line gets twisted, most of the time a quick stretch before fishing is all it needs.

G

·
with all due respect, that takes a lot longer than just stretching it out, I can stretch the whole fly line around my casting platform in less than 2 minutes. I only drag it behind the boat for the twist when the line gets twisted, most of the time a quick stretch before fishing is all it needs.
I must have misunderstood the o/p I got the impression he wasnt on a boat or even fishing that day. As you say just strip off the line on the deck and stretch it between your hands from reel to leader. But if it is a line thats had no use I would take it off the reel at home, motel, before I stepped on the boat . To easy to put permanent twists in a line thats got bad memory, memory and twists are two different things but one can lead to the other very quickly. Didnt mean to offend anyone I know my writing isnt journalist quality.

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was fishing with guide Saturday and i had unwound the line 4 times the day before. He said those solid core lines coil lot.
So who makes non solid core and are they any good

1 - 13 of 13 Posts