Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

If your like me your skiff does not have a ton of storage in the front hatch. The life jackets take up most of it.

Does any one have a better way to store life jackets on a skiff?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I went with the inflatable belts for the skiff, they are packaged up pretty small and fit anywhere. But wouldn't work if you actually wear them from time to time

·
Registered
119 Posts
On my boat I have bungee cords that attach to the bottom sides of the front and back decks. Life jackets, throw cushions and rain jackets gonthere.

·
Registered
424 Posts
As stated above Tbag. Fit 4 in my salt marsh. I did recently remove it and keep them up front but if i was limited on storage this is probably the best way to go if you have a platform. It also has mesh storage.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I don't like inflatables around fly fishing. In my boat we wear them when we're running. Lay 'em under the side console while we fish.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Keep in mind an inflatable(type V) vest ONLY counts as a vest if you are wearing it. So if you just have it in the boat but not on and that is the only vest you carry, technically you can get a ticket.
That is good to know, I swear it should be easier to get good info on this, I researched for hours and never figured that part out

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,100 Posts
I put them in my front hatch. It can can hold 4 adult vest and the anchor, fire extinguisher

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,528 Posts
My Vantage has a pretty big bow hatch but there is also a hatch in a hatch that has another easy access compartment that I store my life jackets and throwable in. Could be an easy install for other skiffs that have a bow compartment.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
My Vantage has a pretty big bow hatch but there is also a hatch in a hatch that has another easy access compartment that I store my life jackets and throwable in. Could be an easy install for other skiffs that have a bow compartment.
I thought about using my hatch in a hatch but decided against that. My main hatch is so full of gear that was a little unsure that the Coast Guard would think it was ok. And even if its ok by rule I wasn't sure that in an emergency that I was comfortable I could get at them quick enough. But in the end I decided it was irrelvant anyway because I wear mine when running. Period. And so does anybody else on my boat. 90% of drownings are not wearing a life jacket at the time of the incident.

• These life jackets must be readily accessible and not in an out-of-reach location or in original packaging

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,528 Posts
I keep my boat pretty light with gear. The bow hatch has very little in it other than a wading net, wading boots, a line mat and a towel or two. They are accessible pretty quickly but the USCG would frown upon the location in a hatch and a hatch, especially the Type 4 throwable. They want that in an immediate access location. The rule is somewhat subjective in it's interpretation from a Law Enforcement standpoint. However, not wearing one when you need it is not. We should all strive to keep up with Steve's example and just wear it.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
474 Posts
X2 for under the poling platform storage. A friend I fish with keeps his in the front hatch of three different high end skiffs and they are always soaking wet.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I really don’t carry much gear with me. Especially if I’m solo. I keep two and the throwable in the front hatch. Still have plenty of room for other things if need be. A small net, a box of flies, small tackle bag( if I’m using conventional rods), a small “dry box” for the phone and wallet and some pliers is about all I bring on most of my trips.

I’ve been eyeing getting a couple inflatables but haven’t pulled the trigger.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
463 Posts
Keep in mind an inflatable(type V) vest ONLY counts as a vest if you are wearing it. So if you just have it in the boat but not on and that is the only vest you carry, technically you can get a ticket.
This is true but there are inflatables that count even when stowed. Just something to look for when buying. And also check your local laws.

·
Registered
342 Posts
That is good to know, I swear it should be easier to get good info on this, I researched for hours and never figured that part out
Those are hydrostatic; not just automatic. You're talking big $$$.
There are non hydrostatic release models that don't have to be worn to be counted. The Mustang MIT 100 is but one example. It uses a chemical bobbin for activation, is rated a Type 3 and can be had for under $150.

When it comes to PFDs the label will tell the story of whether or not the device has to be worn to be counted. Of course it's kind of counterintuitive to buy a nice inflatable and not wear it.

·
Registered
802 Posts
This is true but there are inflatables that count even when stowed. Just something to look for when buying. And also check your local laws.
You are exactly right and just have to do a little digging. Typically they
Say Type III recreational / Type V commercial.

Good side note there.

I have the Mustang MIT 100 and for $150 it is very nice and typically use it for when Bass fishing with my buddies since apparently we have to go WOT everywhere. Haha. I cant blame them, I love to mash that hot foot too!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts