Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my boat has been kept under a metal shed with open sides for the last year and will now be kept inside a garage moving forward. My question is should I dry the boat completely after washing before putting it in the garage? For the last year I’ve always just washed it and parked it under the shed for it to air dry no problems. My mind tells me to at least wipe it down some..what’s yall’s thoughts?

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I guess I go overboard... after washing my sled and getting it backed in the garage I completely dry the outside and shopvac all the water I can out of the bilge area. I then put a small fan in the back compartment blowing down into the hull for a day or two or three. All hatches (two in my case) and live well (which doesn’t ever get used but still gets a little water) are always left open.

I hate water left in a boat. Moisture and electronics don’t mix.

FWIW I usually shop vac at least 1 1/2 gallons of water out of the boat that doesn’t drain out of the plug or get pumped by the bilge pump. I really don’t want that to sit in my boat for long.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I wipe mine down, but I think I might adopt some of @MatthewAbbott 's habits. After seeing what the water does to a boat with my last one, I am keeping the new East Cape freakin as clean and dry as possible.
You know it only takes another 15 minutes of actual “work” and you know your boat is dry.

·
Registered
Salt Marsh Heron 16
41 Posts
After I power wash the skiff, I leave it in the driveway for about an hour then put it in the garage. Pop open all the hatches and come back with a big sponge the next day to get whatever water is left near the transom. It's usually not much though.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
17,668 Posts
I guess I go overboard... after washing my sled and getting it backed in the garage I completely dry the outside and shopvac all the water I can out of the bilge area. I then put a small fan in the back compartment blowing down into the hull for a day or two or three. All hatches (two in my case) and live well (which doesn’t ever get used but still gets a little water) are always left open.

I hate water left in a boat. Moisture and electronics don’t mix.

FWIW I usually shop vac at least 1 1/2 gallons of water out of the boat that doesn’t drain out of the plug or get pumped by the bilge pump. I really don’t want that to sit in my boat for long.
Yep, that moisture will be wicked up by the electrical connections.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,891 Posts
After washing, I use a leaf blower to remove all of the excess water, especially from all the little "nooks and crannies", around the console, etc. Then I wipe it down with clean rags, back it into the garage and store with all hatches open. Never any mildew at all. And, the garage floor stays dry.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
17,668 Posts
I wanna know what routine guides follow. They fish every day...
Are you going to be fishing 4-5 days a week? Most of the guides that do don’t bother doing much more than pressure washing because it will be wet again in 6-8 hours anyway. If you are storing your boat for a week or two between trips drying it or allowing it to dry is the best option then you can spray CorrosionX or whatever on the metal that needs it.

·
BBA Counselor
7,402 Posts
In theory but why risk it? Just stating a fact.
If your gonna have any issues with that, then we better keep our boats off the water all together.

Guess I just look at it differently. A boat to me is mostly utilitarian, a tool to do what I enjoy. If I become a slave to cleaning it the enjoyment level goes way down. I ride her hard and put her away wet. I do open the hatches though, and jack up the front. It leaves maybe 6oz of water in the bilge. It dries by the next day without fans.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.