• Carbon Marine Gl3

Votes: 9 52.9%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I've posted on here a couple times looking for a 24 foot Push Pole. Without any success I have decided to just buy new. I was set on a Stiffy Guide... Simply because I am familiar with it. However none of the local dealer carry it and none of them have orders in progress for the next couple months.

I've recently heard a lot of great things about carbon marine. But I have never used a Carbon Marine push pole. I see they include free shipping... Which would result in having a 24F before Tarpon season.

Please in comparison between just these two poles.
Which is stiffer?
Which pole is easier to get down deep?
Which pole is quieter?
Which pole is stronger?
Also what other pros and cons you can think of for those who have used both poles.

$1300 is alot of money to swallow on a pole I have never used....
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Don’t know where you live, the skiff shop in edgewater has stiffy push poles. Depending on what size boat you’re polling the stiffy extreme is an option as well. I have the 24’, it seems to not want to float up as much when polling in deeper water.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am in SWFL. Have 4 dealers within 100 miles. All 4 dealers do not carry any 24 foot guides. Their orders were just placed so wont re order for another 6 months or so...

·
Lip Ripper
1,715 Posts
I've poled with both but have the GL3R.
The GL3R is definititely stiffer and lighter. I've never had a problem getting either to go down deep. For me it felt like the Stiffy was a little less firm and I wasn't a fan of how it felt with the gloss finish and ribs. The GL3R feels like its just covered in like a 320 grit sandpaper, so you have good grip but wont cut up your hands.

Good luck

·
Registered
'04 HB Devilray Merc 25 HP
1,047 Posts
The GL3R feels like its just covered in like a 320 grit sandpaper, so you have good grip but wont cut up your hands.
Good luck
I haven't ever poled for a long time with the GL3R but my poor technique of sliding my hands along got old on the pole. The texture for me was a little too much.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Joe from Carbon Marine is a great guy and stands by his products. He will deliver your pole right to your house. If you have an issue, he will take care of you. If the pole breaks and you aren't comfortable repairing it, he will come and fix it... Not to mention the GL3 is a great pole. The covering is very grippy without being overly abrasive. It's light and strong and should do everything you want.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I use a stiffy extreme, guide, and a carbon marine gl2r 24’ regularly. The carbon marine is by far my preference, and from talking to Joe the gl3r is supposed to be even lighter and more stiff. Also their service is fantastic, I have done business with them several times.. If it has to be a stiffy I would choose the guide over the extreme every day of the week.

P.S. no reason to own anything other than a 24ft pole and I primarily chase redfish in the skinny. Tarpon, you’re kidding yourself if you use anything shorter.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think you guys answered the question for me! Thanks for all the responses. Carbon marine seems to have quite the following. Is the difference between the Gl2 and the Gl3 worth the $250 price difference. I pole 100% of the time.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
I've poled with both but have the GL3R.
The GL3R is definititely stiffer and lighter. I've never had a problem getting either to go down deep. For me it felt like the Stiffy was a little less firm and I wasn't a fan of how it felt with the gloss finish and ribs. The GL3R feels like its just covered in like a 320 grit sandpaper, so you have good grip but wont cut up your hands.

Good luck

The guide doesn't have a gloss finish, it has a similar sandpaper finish but with ribs. Maybe you are thinking of the hybrid or graphite.

I have owned both the guide and g3 and prefer the guide. Joe's service can't be beat though. I like the ribs on the guide, they add a bit more texture. As far as stiffness they are comparable, they are both pretty rigid. Both do a good job of not floating up if you have a stainless tip.

With either pole take one of those green dish washing pads and you can knock down the grit so it's not so rough. I had to go buy gloves to use my g3lr before I knew you could do this. That pole chewed my hands up.

·
Lip Ripper
1,715 Posts
The guide doesn't have a gloss finish, it has a similar sandpaper finish but with ribs. Maybe you are thinking of the hybrid or graphite.

I have owned both the guide and g3 and prefer the guide. Joe's service can't be beat though. I like the ribs on the guide, they add a bit more texture. As far as stiffness they are comparable, they are both pretty rigid. Both do a good job of not floating up if you have a stainless tip.

With either pole take one of those green dish washing pads and you can knock down the grit so it's not so rough. I had to go buy gloves to use my g3lr before I knew you could do this. That pole chewed my hands up.
You're right, I read guide and thought Hybrid. My mistake

·
I Love microskiff.com!
272 Posts
The guide is lighter and stiffer, have both but prefer the guide. Joe's service is top notch, though. Can't lose either way but delivery is nice.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
252 Posts
I originally wanted the Carbon Marine but had trouble finding one. Ended up with a Guide that I purchased locally. I’ve been really happy with it. Holds up well, plenty stiff, and I like the extra grip from the ribs.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
224 Posts
I think you guys answered the question for me! Thanks for all the responses. Carbon marine seems to have quite the following. Is the difference between the Gl2 and the Gl3 worth the $250 price difference. I pole 100% of the time.
If you only pole and you're buying new and already spending that much I would say yes it is definitely worth the difference. I will say the finish on the G2 looks much nicer than the G3 but I like the texture of the G3.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts