Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you have them? How many of you that do use them regularly? The wife is asking about having one installed. She likes to fish and generally likes to be on the boat but always says she'd like music. I'm not much of a fan of them especially while fishing but I talked to a couple people and they like them when running. We don't "sandbar" much so I'm not sure when else it would be used. Let me hear your pro's & con's.

Thx,
Chad

·
Registered
211 Posts
I use a portable Bluetooth speaker on the boat when music is wanted. This is mostly used in no wake zones or lunch breaks. No music when fishing, but for long runs, it would be nice to have a dedicated sound system that is nice and clear above engine noise. I personally cannot get myself to cut large holes in my skiff and add weight and electrical draw, not to mention spend the money for a good marine audio system in a skiff. Different story for a bigger boat...

·
I Love microskiff.com!
391 Posts
Go bluetooth. You won’t really be able to hear it above the motor when running but waaaay easier then dealing with the typical “stereo unit in a marine environment” issues. I have a Fugoo that fastens to my grab bar. Pretty decent sound if a bit tinny. ...but I don’t need to crank 70/80’s soft rock/country/beach music while drifting or anchored up. Just low volume chill.

·
Fly-By-Night
3,142 Posts
I have a JBL Charge 2, looks like they're up to the 4th version now. The battery lasts forever on a charge, it sounds great and will get plenty loud if you want to. I never use it while fishing but putting around on the river or pulled up on a sandbar or the beach I really like it. Semi water resistant supposedly, mine has been splashed but never dunked.

Pros. Keeps the wife happy, get to listen to good tunes.
Cons. If you don't curate a playlist, FL/GA line my play accidentally and then you'll have to toss it out.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Had the wetsounds sound bar for a very short time. I was not crazy about the way it fit under the platform but that thing was LOUD.

Switched to two UE Megaboom bluetooth speakers. Not as loud but still loud enough. Bonus points for not being attached to the boat and they fit in cup holders. Sometimes you can get them on amazon refurbished for $80.

Two of these are loud enough and clear enough that on calm days you could feasibly listen to a sporting event while running if that's your thing. It's also nice to be able to have front and rear fill with the ability to control the volume independently.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a Bluetooth speaker (water, sand and fire (so they say) proof, floats too) and we have used that but I was curious about a dedicated system. Probably not going to go that route right now but with new boat (whenever that is) I'll have them install it. Thanks for the info and opinions. BTW FL/GA Line will never be played in anything I own boat or vehicle alike. I'm an old school country guy and only like a handful of this newer stuff. Give me a Chris LeDoux playlist and I'm set!!!!

·
> PRO STAFF <
7,515 Posts
It's possible I might be a bit biased.
Might be due to age or the desire for peace and quiet on the water.
When asked about sound systems on the water
my answer is: Just say no!
More weight, more current draw, more expense, just something else to corrode.
Unlike the kids with their cars thumping at 125 db
I don't need the attention or the noise.
It's unnecessary to share y'er audio preferences with the world
in order to draw attention to y'erself.
Not since the advent of earbuds and digital playback.
Save weight, use the fm option on the smartphone
or the digital player if you just need audio filler.

·
Registered
170 Posts
My daughter bought me a Sony waterproof blue tooth speaker recently. Use it all the time when the girls are on the skiff. Small compact unit and surprisingly high quality sound.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I use a JBL charge 3, the battery lasts a long time (40 hours or so) and it is totally waterpoof.

I'm a fan of stereos in larger boats (bay boats or CC's 20'+), but IMO in most skiffs there isn't enough room for a decent system (amp, 4-6 speakers, sub), so it isn't worth the added holes cut, expense, weight and maintenance.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I use the Altec Lansing Lifejacket and I that is what we stick with for a while. Thanks everyone. BTW it goes off when the poles come out.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
627 Posts
On my last skiff, I had 2 JL 6.5" speakers with a small JL amp and just a bluetooth receiver. The amp didn't take up really any room and there was no head unit and messy wires to deal with. I really liked it and it was WAY louder then any bluetooth speaker that you can buy. I haven't been able to bring myself to drill holes in my current HB Pro lol

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have a fusion radio with 2 speakers on console. I love it when running. I don't play it when fishing sometimes really low if just blind casting. My 3 year old also enjoys listening to his kid songs and as long as it provides more enjoyment for him on the boat I am all about it!

1 - 20 of 92 Posts