Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Have you done any with the braid facing up ? just curious how it would look and feel compared to the other methods.
I did my own wheel with the braid on the inside, but never facing up. It can be done any way you like it though.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
470 Posts
I did my own wheel with the braid on the inside, but never facing up. It can be done any way you like it though.
If you wrap it really tight, can you still rotate the braid from top to bottom to help decide what you prefer ?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
If you wrap it really tight, can you still rotate the braid from top to bottom to help decide what you prefer ?
I’m not sure but I wouldn’t suggest it. After doing the hitch and the way I secure the ends and put the Turks heads on the end, then I scald it with boiling water and put in in the oven for a bit to shrink everything even tighter.
It’s basically decoration on a steering wheel. There is some functional benefit but it’s mostly cosmetic. You might be overthinking it.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
470 Posts
I’m not sure but I wouldn’t suggest it. After doing the hitch and the way I secure the ends and put the Turks heads on the end, then I scald it with boiling water and put in in the oven for a bit to shrink everything even tighter.
It’s basically decoration on a steering wheel. There is some functional benefit but it’s mostly cosmetic. You might be overthinking it.
I thought I read somewhere on here that the hitching is done on the top and then he rotates it to the bottom. I forgot who it was.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
470 Posts

tjtfishonWell-Known Member

@tjtfishon since you've done both, what's your opinion on having the seam on the outside vs. the inside of the wheel?
I like the way it looks on the outside better. But I like the way it feels on the inside on my boat. It is really just a personal preference.
I weave them all on the outside and rotate around after. Then pour some boiling water over them to tighten back up.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I thought I read somewhere on here that the hitching is done on the top and then he rotates it to the bottom. I forgot who it was.
That is correct. But it is rotated before the ends are completely secured and the turks heads are tied on. Once the wheel is finished if you rotate it you risk loosening everything. If you want to know how you prefer it, just tie a few hitches around your wheel and try it out. It doesn't have to be perfect.
I've done at least 50 and maybe 60 or even 70 wheels. I've had plenty of people indecisive about color combos and change their mind several times, but never about placement of the braid. And I've never got feedback saying they didn't like it or wished it was on the inside. In fact, the only one I ever did on the inside was my own wheel...and I think aesthetically it looks better on the outside. I literally never think about where the braid is when I have my hands on the wheel. That's why I made the comment about overthinking it....plus it isn't even a permanent modification...if you hated it you could always have it done again

·
I Love microskiff.com!
470 Posts
I realize that and understand what you're saying. I did a google search on how its done and found a tutorial where a portion of a car steering wheel is done and the hitching is done on the face of the wheel rim instead of the top or the bottom and I like how it looks. But I don't know if it was done that way for better illustration and was wondering how it would feel and function. If I were to try rotating it I would definitely rotate it before the turks heads are applied. With the wheel having finger indentations on the bottom i was not sure how it would effect rotating.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
With the wheel having finger indentations on the bottom i was not sure how it would effect rotating.
Some wheels would be more difficult than others due to this. The youtube video I believe you are referring to is done on a car steering wheel installed on the car and in my opinion done to make the tutorial easier to see. Doing a car steering wheel with a soft base and installed on the vehicle and not exposed to the elements is considerable different than the way I wrap a stainless or aluminum wheel in my hands where I can manipulate it.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
470 Posts
Though I'd give it a go, not quite as difficult as I thought but certainly time consuming. I actually like how it looks with the braid on the face of the rim and due to the angle the wheel is mounted on the console, the braid does not interfere. It actually feels better on the hands than placing the braid on top or bottom. Sorry for the poor picture quality !
thumbnail.jpg

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,276 Posts
Some wheels would be more difficult than others due to this. The youtube video I believe you are referring to is done on a car steering wheel installed on the car and in my opinion done to make the tutorial easier to see. Doing a car steering wheel with a soft base and installed on the vehicle and not exposed to the elements is considerable different than the way I wrap a stainless or aluminum wheel in my hands where I can manipulate it.
Todd, I'm completely redoing my boat and I've seen the quality of your work 1st hand at your house. You'll be wrapping the steering wheel I'll be ordering before I mount it on the boat! Worth every penny to me! ;) I'll let you know when I'm ready to have it done!

61 - 71 of 71 Posts