Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the easiest possible way for a single person to remove a steering wheel? I've heard of the loosen the nut to the farthest point and smack with a hammer but is there any easier method?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
Sharp Hooks Matter
481 Posts
You should be able to rent (free) a puller from Auto Zone or similar. That is the best way so you don't mushroom the attachment point by hitting with a hammer.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Apparently I'm not understanding the hammer method because I just totally jacked the nut and threaded shaft. I was even using a piece of 2x4 to prevent the metal on metal contact.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,605 Posts
Apparently I'm not understanding the hammer method because I just totally jacked the nut and threaded shaft. I was even using a piece of 2x4 to prevent the metal on metal contact.
You have to put pressure on the wheel as you are tapping the nut/threaded shaft. @rcbrower had good advice, rent a puller...

also, youtube has a few videos on how to do it. search "boat steering wheel removal" lol

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tried renting a puller but my autozone doesn't have one that fits.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,605 Posts
Tried renting a puller but my autozone doesn't have one that fits.
It just needs to fit around the base of the steering wheel, not the outsides where your hands go. Try O'Reilly or Discount Auto or NAPA... Someone will have it

puller.JPG

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The hooks on it were too thick and couldn't get a hold. This wheel is a "destroyer" style so I can only grab from a very narrow gap and the bottom. I'm going to work on it some more this evening and hopefully I can get it off. I may check Harbor Freight today as well. Thanks for all of the help.

Reactions: yobata

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Just sort of 1 arm bear hug the wheel while tapping shaft with other hand. Put a throw away cheap nut on it if needed. Obviously move face to the side or you will make a dentist HB boat payment.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,605 Posts
The hooks on it were too thick and couldn't get a hold. This wheel is a "destroyer" style so I can only grab from a very narrow gap and the bottom. I'm going to work on it some more this evening and hopefully I can get it off. I may check Harbor Freight today as well. Thanks for all of the help.
I google "destroyer" steering wheels. It kind of looks like the one in this video, maybe this will be helpful

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I tried that last night, this damn wheel is stuck on good. I'm going to get my son try and help afternoon, hopefully the 2 of us can put enough pressure on it.

Reactions: yobata

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Give the shaft a good spray down with PB Blaster first and let it sit for a bit. That stuff works wonders.
I've used a 3rd of a can on it thus far. I do agree though, that stuff is great.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I ran into this issue about a year ago and it was hell. Gear puller mushroomed out the shaft. I tried soaking in PB blaster, hitting with hammer but I ended up cutting off the entire steering shaft off. To save the wheel I took a torch to the wheel an bad had to punch the shaft out with a sledge. Good luck...

·
Panhandler
2,727 Posts
Then as we said in the Navy, use a bigger hammer. ;)

Good luck. Saltwater corrosion is a bugger.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I doubt it's saltwater corrosion as it is used mostly (98%) in fresh. I think it's just a mf'r and just on there real good. I've thought about heating the wheel but that does make me a bit nervous as it has a plastic shield behind the wheel. This is a 2010 Teleflex safe-t steering setup. I'm going to give it one more go today and if I can't get it off than it stays until I sell it.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I agree with @Capnredfish and recommend using some heat / cold cycles. That, plus the penetrating oil you're using, should eventually do the trick.

Consider the puller kit from AutoZone, not just the single gear puller. The kit comes with all sorts of attachments, various size jaws, and a pretty useful slide hammer. I think you could get creative with a combination of the kit components and get that thing off.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Giving it one more go today and if it's still a bear than off to Harbor Freight I go.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Small tip plumbers torch. Directs heat to a very small area. Keep a soaked towel or something non flammable to shield plastic from heat. It doesn’t take much to expand wheel hub or shrink shaft. Think of something frozen in a Tupperware and you can’t get it out. One second under the sink on the container and that bond is broken.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts