Steering Wheel Paracord Wrap

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bryson, Feb 13, 2018 at 11:29 AM.

1. bryson

bryson Lowcountry Degen

All you guys that have wrapped your wheel, what's your favorite technique? I've seen lots of different methods, but haven't decided which one I want to do on my wheel. Let's hear it!

2. mtoddsolomon

mtoddsolomon Lip Ripper

I just did the coxcombing that I saw in a YouTube video.

bryson likes this.

3. lpg

lpg Well-Known Member

So what material are you using and how many feet for a steering wheel?

Looks like a fun project, but not sure what to use..

4. Limp Shrimp

Limp Shrimp Well-Known Member

I used just plain para cord, but after looking at some of the professionals work, I think they use a higher grade of Kernmantle rope.. a harder rope will give you a better finish because it doesn't flatten out under pressure like para cord... I was happy with the results I got from my $10 bag of para cord though...

bryson and Smackdaddy53 like this.
  5. tjtfishon

tjtfishon Well-Known Member

Three strand ring-bolt hitch. It makes a very nice herringbone pattern and using 3 strands of 11' each makes it easier to manage than a single cord over 33' or even two cords. It is a little more difficult to tie, but with practice the muscle memory make it something you can do with little concentration. You can also use different colors if you want some contrast.

Attached Files:

6. bryson

bryson Lowcountry Degen

That's really helpful info on the lengths, since all our wheels are fairly similar in size. Thanks!

7. tjtfishon

13” wheel

bryson likes this.
  8. ScorpionFish

ScorpionFish Active Member

What diameter cord did you use? Nice job! I can't wait to get started!

9. tjtfishon

I use 550 7 strand cord. I think it is 5/32" or 4mm

ScorpionFish likes this.
  10. tjtfishon

Here's another one I just finished....

IMG_5284.JPG IMG_5286.JPG IMG_5287.JPG

bryson likes this.
  11. Zika

Zika Forgotten Coaster

Nice work. I've done some limited wraps on a grab bar but thinking about trying to do a similar two-color treatment on my wheel. How is yours holding up to moisture/grime?

12. Rayreds

Rayreds Well-Known Member

13. bryson

bryson Lowcountry Degen

@tjtfishon since you've done both, what's your opinion on having the seam on the outside vs. the inside of the wheel?

14. tjtfishon

I like the way it looks on the outside better. But I like the way it feels on the inside on my boat. It is really just a personal preference.
    I weave them all on the outside and rotate around after. Then pour some boiling water over them to tighten back up.

bryson likes this.
  15. bryson

bryson Lowcountry Degen

That's interesting -- I feel like I have heard of people using beeswax or something, then putting the whole wheel in the oven at a low temp to help melt the wax so it really penetrates the paracord. I can't find anything on it now, though. Ever heard of anything like that?

16. tjtfishon

I doubt paracord would need any treatment. I’ve had it for nearly 2 years on my tiller extension and a portion of my platform that tended to get rubbed by the tiller. No fading, loosening, or other degradation. Maybe a really light color would tend to stain.