Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a microskiff, is it better to have a 3 turn or 4 turn steering system (both being lock-to-lock)?
I'm already on board with buying a no feedback system but this other 3 vs 4 turn issue has me beat.

Teleflex Safe-T II NFB Steering System
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=3950&familyName=Teleflex+Safe-T+II+NFB+Steering+System

or

Teleflex No Feedback Rotary Package
http://www.boatersland.com/tel-ss14710.html

·
BBA Counselor
7,288 Posts
I'm not really sure, but I would think the 3 turn is for smaller motors, and the 4 turn, being it has more gear reduction, is for larger ones. So all things being equal I'd go with 3 on a small boat.

·
Cert. Yamaha technician
4,330 Posts
3 turn
Im also not a fan of the no feedback. The locks in the helm that give it the "no feedback" make it feel notch or ratchety as your turning the wheel.
I still perfer the old simple cheap feedback system.
When you turn your anode fin on the lower unit the correct way you shouldnt have to fight the steering whatsoever.
I have it on my skiff with the 70hp and I can let go of the wheel completely at speed and it just stays there.

·
Cert. Yamaha technician
4,330 Posts
Not at all.
Its just more expensive for a worse imo system.
Imo its more for 150hp and up (no feed back), but at that point im going hydraulic...
Trust me, you wont have any problems with a feedback system on your 40

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not at all.
Its just more expensive for a worse imo system.
Imo its more for 150hp and up (no feed back), but at that point im going hydraulic...
Trust me, you wont have any problems with a feedback system on your 40
What are the regulations on no feed back. I was under the inpression that all new steering systems have to be no feed back. Now that you brought it up I did get to pilot one boat that was NFB and it did feel "rachitty". I didn't like it. I thought something was wrong. I want that smooth steering. Ain't gotta be butter smooth but atleast click free.

·
Cert. Yamaha technician
4,330 Posts
As far as I know there are no laws against it otherwise you wouldnt be able to buy it at your local west marine.
If there is I honestly wouldnt abide if it was my own personal boat anyways.
Maybe Brett can google somethin up.
But I havent even heard of any kind of law about it

·
> PRO STAFF <
7,527 Posts
Don't need google for this one... ;D

No feed back steering is a result of the boys with the need for speed.
The ones who hang 150 hp up on the back of a hull.
After you reach a certain amount of horsepower, those steering tabs become ineffective
due to the size and pitch of the props being turned. The no-feedback system was produced
so you didn't strain yourself maintaining control of the wheel when running those big engines.
Under 90 hp I never felt the need to use anything but the basic Safe-T-Helm.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, I'm going to look it up. I found something else though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs-tYV0eNvg

After watching this and actually seeing the gears of the systems...I think I might end up with a UFlex helm instead.

·
Brandon, FL
11,429 Posts
What is wrong with the pulley and cable system of the 30's?

I just installed a Uflex and so far it is good.

·
Brandon, FL
11,429 Posts
T71. Came in a box with cables, helm, steering wheel and all hardware. Eazy peazy.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I usually agree with cut, but I have no problem with the NFB steering systems. The good ones at least, go with the Teleflex safe T II system.

Just my .002

·
Cert. Yamaha technician
4,330 Posts
Im familiar with the system, and while there is nothing wrong with it I just dont like the clicking inside the helm.
Just a personal preference I suppose, well lol hydraulic is my real personal preference.

·
I Love my Ghee-not!
416 Posts
What is wrong with the pulley and cable system of the 30's?

This is what I use... haha
Recently blew the motor on this boat. Sop, I recon that I will have to replace the steering to install newer motor...

·
Brandon, FL
11,429 Posts
On some of the classic woodies you will see new engines rigged with the pulley systems.

Don't give into technology!!!

·
Living &amp; Dying in 3/4 Time
2,558 Posts
Where did you get the wheel D? I may have a few extra control cables at the house if you need them, will know for sure where they are Saturday.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts