Steering system selection

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by oysterbreath, Jul 25, 2013.

1. oysterbreath

oysterbreath Well-Known Member

For a microskiff, is it better to have a 3 turn or 4 turn steering system (both being lock-to-lock)?
    I'm already on board with buying a no feedback system but this other 3 vs 4 turn issue has me beat.

Teleflex Safe-T II NFB Steering System
    http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=3950&familyName=Teleflex+Safe-T+II+NFB+Steering+System

or

Teleflex No Feedback Rotary Package
    http://www.boatersland.com/tel-ss14710.html

2. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

I'm not really sure, but I would think the 3 turn is for smaller motors, and the 4 turn, being it has more gear reduction, is for larger ones. So all things being equal I'd go with 3 on a small boat.

3. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

3 turn
    Im also not a fan of the no feedback. The locks in the helm that give it the "no feedback" make it feel notch or ratchety as your turning the wheel.
    I still perfer the old simple cheap feedback system.
    When you turn your anode fin on the lower unit the correct way you shouldnt have to fight the steering whatsoever.
    I have it on my skiff with the 70hp and I can let go of the wheel completely at speed and it just stays there.

4. oysterbreath

Uggg! I should have just gone with a tiller!
    No feedback is manditory these days ain't it?

5. cutrunner

Not at all.
    Its just more expensive for a worse imo system.
    Imo its more for 150hp and up (no feed back), but at that point im going hydraulic...
    Trust me, you wont have any problems with a feedback system on your 40

6. oysterbreath

What are the regulations on no feed back. I was under the inpression that all new steering systems have to be no feed back. Now that you brought it up I did get to pilot one boat that was NFB and it did feel "rachitty". I didn't like it. I thought something was wrong. I want that smooth steering. Ain't gotta be butter smooth but atleast click free.

7. cutrunner

As far as I know there are no laws against it otherwise you wouldnt be able to buy it at your local west marine.
    If there is I honestly wouldnt abide if it was my own personal boat anyways.
    Maybe Brett can google somethin up.
    But I havent even heard of any kind of law about it

8. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Don't need google for this one... ;D

No feed back steering is a result of the boys with the need for speed.
    The ones who hang 150 hp up on the back of a hull.
    After you reach a certain amount of horsepower, those steering tabs become ineffective
    due to the size and pitch of the props being turned. The no-feedback system was produced
    so you didn't strain yourself maintaining control of the wheel when running those big engines.
    Under 90 hp I never felt the need to use anything but the basic Safe-T-Helm.

9. oysterbreath

Thanks, I'm going to look it up. I found something else though.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs-tYV0eNvg

After watching this and actually seeing the gears of the systems...I think I might end up with a UFlex helm instead.

10. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

What is wrong with the pulley and cable system of the 30's?

I just installed a Uflex and so far it is good.

11. oysterbreath

Which one? I assume that yours doesn't have "no feed back?" How do you like it?

12. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

T71. Came in a box with cables, helm, steering wheel and all hardware. Eazy peazy.

13. oysterbreath

That ones got a good price point:
    http://www.boatersland.com/uflex-rotech.html

Thanks Ducknut, Brett, and gang!

14. Creek Runner

Creek Runner Well-Known Member

I usually agree with cut, but I have no problem with the NFB steering systems. The good ones at least, go with the Teleflex safe T II system.

Just my .002

15. cutrunner

Im familiar with the system, and while there is nothing wrong with it I just dont like the clicking inside the helm.
    Just a personal preference I suppose, well lol hydraulic is my real personal preference.

16. cwalden

cwalden I Love my Ghee-not!

This is what I use... haha
    Recently blew the motor on this boat. Sop, I recon that I will have to replace the steering to install newer motor...

17. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

On some of the classic woodies you will see new engines rigged with the pulley systems.

Don't give into technology!!!

18. oysterbreath

Oh, update I bought a Uflex system. It's one of those rotary systems. Seems nice. I also picked up a SS steering wheel.

19. Gramps

Gramps Living &amp; Dying in 3/4 Time

Where did you get the wheel D? I may have a few extra control cables at the house if you need them, will know for sure where they are Saturday.