Steering problem

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by Geoff_Arias, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Geoff_Arias

Geoff_Arias I Love microskiff.com!

Ok. So Im gunna throw this out here being that I feel I can get some good advice from you guys. I have a 14 Hoog flats boat. The steering that came with the boat when I bought it was not installed "properly" The steering arm that runs through the tilt tube on the motor was coming up from the side of the transom well. you can see it in the picture below. This caused it to be very difficult to steer especially when trying to go left. Anways I took it out and it is running through a storage compartment that is behind me in the picture which is fine. What I need to do in order to run the cable is cut a hole in the deck behind me and make some sort of "housing" for the steering cable to run through like on most flats boats specifically Mavericks. I attached another picture with what I am looking to do. My question, how do I go about doing that? Cutting a hole in my deck and still maintaining its strength as well as getting the housing for the cable to run through so its not just a hole in my deck?

2. Geoff_Arias

Look at this boat. This is what I am trying to do.

3. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Switch from Teleflex to hydraulic steering. No chopping needed.
    Otherwise you'll need to build or buy a molded fiberglass form
    to allow the change of the cable direction to feed into the tilt tube.

4. Geoff_Arias

The problem with that is I don't want to dump a ton of money into this boat. Im not looking to keep it that much longer. To be honest, I would like to fix a few things and improve a few things and use it for a while and then try to sell it. If you have anywhere that I can get hydraulic steering cheap then let me know and I would consider that option. Im gunna go search craigslist.

5. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

You could simply use a hole saw to make a small diameter opening through the deck,
    feed the cable through it and install a rubber boot to keep the opening watertight.

6. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Those two words do not go in the same sentence unless "is not" is inserted between them.

Your best bet is to do what Brett said and it will not weaken the structure of the craft.

7. Geoff_Arias

Brett, that is what I am thinking about doing. The thing is that I would prefer the look of the housing. I need to find an old boat in a junkyard or side of the road.....lol

8. Geoff_Arias

One question for you guys. I am looking for a part for the steering. Well two parts. I need the mount that holds the steering wheel on the console. Its the thing by all the screws in the picture. I can't find the part number anywhere on teleflex's website to order it from them. Any help?

9. Geoff_Arias

Neva mind fellas i found the part number. Im ordering the parts today. Maybe Ill film this whole process (rewiring and fixing steering) and make my own "Skiff Shape" episode