steering adjustment help needed 2001 merc.

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by James_N, Mar 18, 2013.

1. James_N

James_N I Love microskiff.com!

Not sure i'll get the terminology right , but bare with me please . Iam looking for a way to adjust something in the steering , either tilt tube (that steering cable goes thru ) or maybe a different steering rod , so i can gain alittle more room where my steering rod connects to the steering cable .
    The issue iam having is motor is centered and all was well , till i put a rear deck on the boat . Now , the end of the steering cable where it connects to the steering rod hits the side of the rear deck when i turn the wheel ( not allowing it to turn the wheel towards the port side fully)
    It looks like i need another 3/4 inch so it won't hit the rear deck .

2. HaMm3r

HaMm3r Well-Known Member

If you can, post a picture of the problem so we better understand the issue. Based on what you're describing though, assuming I understand the problem, I'd say the easiest thing to do would be to set your motor back 1" or so by purchasing a piece of 1" thick starboard and mounting it on the transom before clamping the motor down.