Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’ve been thinking about doing this for a few months. Awesome to see a build thread. A few questions:

1. what’s your welding setup?
2. where did you source the aluminum?
3. If you don’t mind me asking, what did you end up paying a shop to cut it all out?

Can’t wait to see the progress. I think this is a fascinating niche that could get a lot of people a quality skiff without the insane 600+ hours into a morejohn Fiberglas one off build.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I'm welding with a Miller Mig Welder. I sourced all the aluminum from Pierce Aluminum in Broussard, LA. I got it cut at a company in Scott called Del Corp for around $1000.

·
Premium Member
2,677 Posts
Yep, following now too! Looks great so far!🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

·
Registered
10 Posts
If I may guess...

Are you going to raptor line the inside hull bow?

What motors are in your top 3? F70, small honda, small tohatsu

Do you plan lightish or plan on accessories? So much room for activities. Skipping the Center console and going yeti with grab bar?

Decking choice? Raptor liner?

Awlgrip etch and primer and topcoat on the hull? Something easier to repair?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
If I may guess...

Are you going to raptor line the inside hull bow?

What motors are in your top 3? F70, small honda, small tohatsu

Do you plan lightish or plan on accessories? So much room for activities. Skipping the Center console and going yeti with grab bar?

Decking choice? Raptor liner?

Awlgrip etch and primer and topcoat on the hull? Something easier to repair?
I’m planning on a F70 Yamaha, a power pole, and a center console. I’m planning on painting the boat and the inside hull bow. I might cover it with Seadek or Hydro-Turf.

·
Lowcountry Degen
2021 Conchfish 17.8
1,822 Posts
Spool gun? I've never tried to MIG aluminum but have always been interested in it.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Now that we survived Hurricane Laura, I’m getting back to working on the boat. I’ve got the transom braces, supports, and transom tacked in place. Time to start installing all the frames.

Attachments

·
I Love microskiff.com!
388 Posts
glad to hear you made it through the storm unscathed!

21 - 40 of 65 Posts