Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

321 - 340 of 356 Posts

·
Brandon, FL
10,527 Posts
Shit, that is just not right.

I played on his blog for 45 minutes trying to find that BEFORE I posted.

I still think he needs to have someone create a concise website for this. I am willing to bet someone on here would even volunteer to do it for him.

EDIT: I went and looked at that and it is only fo the Conch in a couple lengths and the Berrylium. Still can't find the others.

·
Registered
606 Posts

I still think he needs to have someone create a concise website for this. I am willing to bet someone on here would even volunteer to do it for him.

EDIT: I went and looked at that and it is only fo the Conch in a couple lengths and the Berrylium. Still can't find the others.
I'm with you Duck. Not that I'm interested in building something anytime soon, or maybe ever again, but there is not one website-blog-insta-book page where you can see a comparison of all the current designs and purchase plans to see what will suit your needs. I think I like the Turbot, but I need more info than draft. We all love the Conch, but CM has so many more designs that it would be nice to compare all of them in one place

·
I Love microskiff.com!
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #324

I wish I had the time to do more but I have lots of other things going on.
Look up on hogfishdesigns.wordpress.com
Under.....April 30 2020, Skiff Designs, comparisons, plans costs.

On this post I show, the original Whipray, the 2 CONCHFISH designs, the Lithium design, the Beryllium design which can be built with 2 different bottoms and any length from 18’.9” down to 16’
Vee bottom or pad version and tunnel.
Then there’s the Boron design which has 3 separate set of plans for wood, aluminum or core.
Then onto the Turbot hull design that has 2 different bottom chine options and Vees or pads,
The Slippery Dick designs the 14’ and the 16’
The Captain 18’ design which is my updated past Guide design,
The Megalops 18 which is my updated Marquesa design.
I also have my past HB pro design but I don’t see any need for that to be built because my latest design make that design old school.

Not shown is my Captive 14’ design that can be purchased from Jon Selman’s blog site under his name.

if you go through my blog posts I have other designs like my Mud Mullet, the Pufferfish, 37’ power cat, 21’ offshore skiff and others.
I have had a constant stream of inquirers for plans or custom work.
I am not really too concerned about having a proper web site. People find me no problem.
I just share my info In the hope people can find inspiration or ideas on their own.
It’s been printed on this site many times if wanting info just email me at [email protected] to buy plans or get directed in the right direction.
By the end of the summer I will have a new 20’ deep vee skiff design in cad done for that market, and 2 other smaller skiff designs that are very different from all the other designs.

I am into rigging now and should have the skiff in the water mid week.
Would have had the whole console rigged today but had a visitor so will have better photos tomorrow.
FB58739B-839A-45B6-A3C1-F71E80E59150.jpeg

·
Registered
348 Posts
I can tell you from personal emails the turbot wasnt what I needed. Especially when a lot of the designs can be cut to 16'. He doesnt have a one size fits all. Email him at spank the mermaid and tell him what you need it to do. Ie... size, draft, load, engine size, live well, trolling motor. All that adds weight. He doesnt want you to build something from a spec you read but rather help you in the right direction for what you are needing. He is incredibly nice to work with.
Michael

·
I Love microskiff.com!
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #327
What would be the difference in performance with the beryllium and the megalops?
The Megalops is my updated version of my old Marquesa design. I just filled in the stern and added the reverse spray strake.

Now the Beryllium skiff you see here is 18’9” loa on the hull but 19’ loa on deck. It’s 3” narrower in transom waterline beam.
The Beryllium has the same vee though at stations 5-9 going forward as the Marquesa. So it will ride as good but be extreamy drier in running through rough waters. It has a better spray rail and it has the reverse spray strake.

I will have a 20’ deep vee design finished in a few months that will make the Megalops and the Marquesa designs outdated. They will be to me not worth building.
This new design will be for those that want the vee hull ride, have the classic good looks of the Marquesa but be very dry running.

going out the door Tuesday.

FA12F829-8EB4-4B50-852A-896175A255E4.jpeg
FC057B5F-DE3B-46AD-825D-FDEF95712F28.jpeg

·
I Love microskiff.com!
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #328
Looks like one more post to go. She’s rigged and will be water tested this Monday on a local fresh water lake nearby here. It’s an hour and a half drive to salt water so will just lunch here and see if she floats. The owner is a guide so needs to get back to work now that things are starting up again.
Fully rigged less engine Eric Kimes, I and a friend of Eric’s were able to carry her out and slide her onto the trailer. She will be weighed so will be able to give you all a true weight of hull, then gear and so on. I will be very accurate when measuring the draft, but it will be in fresh water so will draft deeper than if in salt water.
I am happy with how she came out. The hatches work better than I had hoped. Videos here are time consuming so if wanting to see more look up my Instagram site of my blog.
You can see her next to my last all custom Oneoff build the lithium 18 skiff I buil 2-1/2 years ago in the keys. There’s a Marquesa in the background.
I will post all my expenses and build times on the last post here in a few days.
With this build the owner and I wanted the deck to be as hole free as possible and to as easy to maintain as can be.
There are only 8 tru bolts piercing the deck. The owner will add a bit of the croc sea deck stuff to the hull sides and rod racks when he gets back home.
Talk soon...
EA323E48-C155-452C-AC3D-216A3F9C836D.jpeg
EA9C6683-B03D-427F-84B7-43D96D78829F.jpeg
4DEB2548-9589-44D4-B4D8-EA7B1603BE1F.jpeg
8E026E29-1E7F-482F-B329-692D243C7AE7.jpeg
68741043-44AF-4E2A-A1A8-00412CAA8E3D.jpeg
5F141C80-354A-4845-B7AE-5B0CDF425B88.jpeg
E3FFFB11-8A9B-4BEC-A15E-C28486DD489B.jpeg
1B6BA413-B9FA-4EB9-90CD-4A62657FDE63.jpeg
703D47AA-CB7A-4965-8C68-A46D79C77129.jpeg
A0E6A531-B1C6-440D-8E82-75D3F58D2C6C.jpeg

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,188 Posts
Chris why did you design the berrylium hull with a slightly upturned bow instead of the flat deck similar to the most skiff’s in your previous design’s.

At least to my eyes that what I looks like from the pictures?

·
Night snookin' preferred
66 Posts
Chris why did you design the berrylium hull with a slightly upturned bow instead of the flat deck similar to the most skiff’s in your previous design’s.

At least to my eyes that what I looks like from the pictures?
I thought I was the only one. I hope he replies.

·
Registered
348 Posts
We are not seeing her resting on her lines in the water. He said there is more v in a few of the forward stations so it may rest a little deeper and still be flat?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #333
I thought I was the only one. I hope he replies.
Sitting giving blood today. I love the way you guys look at all the details. It’s a sickness for sure. I can’t sit in a building and not line up the verticals and horizontals.
It’s design is a flat sheer. It’s flat but with my iPad camera at times it kinda distorts things.
The last picture looks like the Berylliums sheer has a bit of curve to it too me. It’s an optical illusion.
When we launch on Monday I will post pictures here.
The Lithium skiffs sheer to me almost looks slightly reverse but it’s not in the last picture.

·
Night snookin' preferred
66 Posts
Thanks I figured as much and just was gong to wait and see. I doubt I'll ever build my own but it is darn fun to watch.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #335
Today my friend Eric Kimes and I weighed his HB Marquesa 18’ skiff along with the Lithium 18 skiff I built for him 2-1/2 years ago. We also weighed the Beryllium 19’ skiff seen here.
In town just down the road here In Mt. Olive is the main weigh scale for all the feed trucks. Extremely accurate scale. It’s all farming here.
What we did was record everything in videos so no fussing later from the gallery.
We weighed the truck with the skiff on each trailer. We then weighed the truck alone. We then took the skiffs off the trailers and weighed again.
Now what I have done in my time is weigh every single piece of hardware that can be put on a skiff. From screws, to wire, rub rails by the foot on down to electrical fittings. It’s extensive. All down to the .01 ounce.
With this list I know exactly what the rigging part of the Beryllium weighs and any other skiff ever built. The cool thing about this is it’s pretty much the same weight that goes on all skiffs. Rub rail weights differ a bit but not by much. Then it’s down to steering wheel makes.
So what I installed on my 19’ long lithium skiff is pretty much the same thing as what goes on all skiffs. Just add or subtract some ounces for the rubrail.
Batteries play a big roll too. On the Beryllium I bought a 58lb marine battery.
I will post all my numbers on my blog for the accountants on here.

So... by the numbers,

The Beryllium 19 weighs all up fully rigged as seen above without fuel...1120 lbs.
Less motor and rigging as a bare hull, hatches etc...676 lbs.

the Lithium 18 is a solid glass hull, built with 1-1/8” thick core for all the interior structure. She is a tank.
Fully rigged with a tiller Tohatsu 50....1198Lbs.
Less engine and rigging...bare hull and hatches with 24 gal aluminum fuel tank....834Lbs.

the HB Marquesa 18 has a 115 Evinrude on her, with a trolling motor on the bow. She weighs rigged as such at 1602 Lbs.
Less engine and all rigging...902 for the bare hull. She floats nice and high.

The total weight for all rigging on the Beryllium skiff which includes Sea Star steering, everything is 183 lbs.
I added and subtracted this weight from the other 2 different skiffs using my master weight list

ok now what I did was look up current hull weight quotes from manufacturers today.
The Chittum 21 is the closest hull in size to the Beryllium 19.
They say 750 lbs for the hull weight. So if you subtract the 182 lbs as a close rigging weight then their hull weighs 567 Lbs for a 21’ skiff ?

HB says their Marquesa hulls weight is 695 lbs.
Subtract the basic rigging weight of 183lbs then the bare hull should weigh 512 Lbs.
I wonder what’s up with the “hull weights”.
Now I have the hull dimensions of the above hulls so I know what their displacements are which means it’s very easy to just look at the waterline to know how much they really weigh. And I have my weight list.

Now onto what I spent on my build.

I keep very meticulous records. Total cost for the skiff seen above including all jig work, extra tables, fully rigged with an epoxy outer hull and the rest in US Composite polyester resin using Divinycell core and AWLGRIP paint, Print cost to have the plans on hand,Etc.
She came to $9,787.05.
Now add the Yahmaha 70, it’s prop and the trailer cost.
Oh yea don’t forget to buy the plans, $350.00 + printing costs.
Helps keep me in my black beans and rice lifestyle.

something to ponder...
I used just over 225 yards of materials in this build. This comprised Basalt cloth, eglass cloth and matt.
I spent $1,070.00 on the above materials if I used all carbon cloth weave materials at lets say $23.00 a yard that means an all carbon skiffs needed material would be $5,175.00. Now subtract the above materials and you get $4,105.00 all up cost.
To do this on the CHITTUM 18 which is way smaller than the Beryllium above You will be charged $15,000.00 more for just the carbon cloth upgrade.
Go figure...Hal’s a genius
9659DA6C-023A-4888-B693-D2A62E2C50CF.jpeg

This is the scale showing truck, skiff on the trailer.
Total 9,200 lbs.
- 7600 lbs truck weight
= 1600 lbs trailer and skiff
- 480 lbs trailer
= 1120 lbs hull and motor skiff fully rigged
- 261 lbs motor and prop
=857 lbs skiff hull rigged
- 183 lbs rigging complete
=676 “ bare hull weight”

Beryllium 19 hulls displacement draft weight at 6” is 1373 Lbs.
So add fuel at 20 gals x 6.3 lbs per gal = 126 lbs.
Looks like she will draft at around 6-1/2” - 7” as built with sports aboard.

070419A9-59C5-4AC3-BDEB-8EEFE8F566E3.jpeg
D09043AA-D1DD-42EC-9557-DA2850E8D46B.jpeg

launching on Monday.

·
Night snookin' preferred
66 Posts
It will be interesting to see how much other people's builds weigh ... including the aluminium ones.

·
Lowcountry Degen
1,708 Posts
I might be wrong, but I think that Lithium was popped from a mold, correct? And if the Lithium is very similar in size to the Beryllium, then the weight difference would be primarily due to... build technique? Materials/schedule?

Very interesting, especially since we had a thread on this pretty recently. This could be the most relevant weight comparison we've seen -- two nearly identical skiffs built with different methods ("home built" vs "production").

Pretty sweet looking fleet there, by the way. That's quite a photo op.

edit: found the thread I was talking about
https://www.microskiff.com/threads/...eight-reductions-additions.75026/#post-700572

·
I Love microskiff.com!
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #338
I might be wrong, but I think that Lithium was popped from a mold, correct? And if the Lithium is very similar in size to the Beryllium, then the weight difference would be primarily due to... build technique? Materials/schedule?

Very interesting, especially since we had a thread on this pretty recently. This could be the most relevant weight comparison we've seen -- two nearly identical skiffs built with different methods ("home built" vs "production").

Pretty sweet looking fleet there, by the way. That's quite a photo op.

edit: found the thread I was talking about
https://www.microskiff.com/threads/production-skiff’s-vs-home-built-skiff’s-weight-reductions-additions.75026/#post-700572
Bryson,
The lithium skiff I built from the mold I helped build. I built a deck plug and then a mold off of that and then made my deck from that mold. I got a really good deal on my interior structure core being 1-1/8” thick. The hull is laid up solid.
Gelcoat,
3/4 oz skin coat
2 layers 1-1/2 oz Matt then a layer of 18 oz roving on top.
Replete the above.
The the hull had a 12” wide Uni carbon layer down under the stringers from just forward of the forward bulKhead to just under the front of the aft seat boxes.
The whole build can be seen on my blog and Instagram site.
They lithium and Beryllium differ in waterline beam with the Beryllium being 1-1/2 “ wider, and 12” longer at the stern. They both share the same deck sheer beams/ measurements except the added 12” length.
As you all can see a solid glass hull is way low tech but very close to all core.
If I had a mold I would build solid old school glass hulls.
You have run the lithium skiff I built so you know how she feels.
I could go way lighter and still be plenty strong but I like the weights for these skiffs. They have way more storage and room than the wider Marquesa skiff build.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,188 Posts
Chris I’m surprised how much more the marquesa comes in at than the berrylium.

I can see that the 115 etec prolly weights 140lbs more than the f-70, plus another 150 for the troller and batteries. Yet even at those numbers I’m still trying to figure out where the extra 200 lbs is coming from in that skiff. Any help/opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much to you and Eric for this data as this is the stuff consumers/builders need to make good decisions.

321 - 340 of 356 Posts