Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Adding a poling platform onto my skiff and was thinking of using starboard for the actual top. Has anybody ever done this and had success? I am particularly wondering about what thickness I need. There is a big price different between 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch. Would 1/2 inch do it?

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
I have one here that is 1/2” but has a support in the center of a 30” length and is just fine.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
I wouldn't consider Starboard for a poling platform deck... Instead I'd cut a piece of 1/2" plywood, glass it on both sides, then either paint, gelcoat, or cover it if you want a cushioned surface. If you're not careful, Starboard will crack on you and it's not at all ideal as a stand-alone non skid surface (not to mention what it will cost you before you even start shaping it to fit... ).

Hope this helps... aren't boats fun?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I think I'll try to glass a piece of plywood because I really don't want to pay for the starboard and seadek. Any suggestion as to using pressure treated or just normal plywood @lemaymiami?

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
Thanks for the help guys. I think I'll try to glass a piece of plywood because I really don't want to pay for the starboard and seadek. Any suggestion as to using pressure treated or just normal plywood @lemaymiami?
Do not glass PT, it will not bond! Use regular plywood and epoxy

Reactions: mgcolli

·
Registered
478 Posts
Starboard is pricey, and very heavy. You can improvise if you can find a fiberglass hatch off a bigger boat, or just glass your own. Marine plywood, or coosa board would be ideal.

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
Give me the exact dimensions and I’ll build you a top out of fiberglass for $250 + shipping in white gelcoat. I’ll need to know if it’s a drop on or sit in place top also.

Reactions: not2shabby

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,963 Posts
Yes, everyone does this. My glass one blew off one day stunningly and called around as I needed one ASAP for a trip. Turns out most of the replacement "lids" as they are called, are starboard.

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
A lot of fabricators have gone to starboard so they aren’t limited in their designs.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
A deck for a poling tower is easy to make and sell, if you work with starboard.. The guy who has to use it day in and day out will find out why I prefer fiberglass (wood reinforced or otherwise...) with the appropriate amount of non-skid on it...

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts