Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if any following the ecological tragedy that occurred when the ocean going car carrier overturned in the sound last month. They have pumped 78000 gal out but it is still leaking oil. Tar balls in marsh grass at St Simon’s and Jekyll Island. Oil on water in sound and rivers. The vessel is so large that it can’t be righted so leaking oil continues to flow into the aquifer. I will post photos of what gets on your boat in 4 hrs of fishing. A true mess that affects a lot of people who depend on the water for their livelihood

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This sh-t is in the engine. Probably going to be a class action lawsuit to come. Thinks of how this affect guides, commercial fishermen , waitresses in hotels and restaurants. Not to mention the sealife

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like a real shit-splat. Wonder why this isn't making the news?
It is locally but this cluster is being kept quite. The last time one of these overturned, it took years to clean up. Too big with 400 + Kias and several thousands gals of fuel to right. May have to cut in pieces like last time

·
Registered
533 Posts
Truly sad. Been following since it happened. I grew up in Brunswick and on St. Simons. I live a little north now but know people who are being affected by it. Thankful all crew were rescued.

·
Rex Kwan Do Dojo
2,180 Posts
Sorry to hear this! My Dad spent several years living and golfing on Jekyll and St.Simons and I have great memories of the area and culture.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Presently in Jekyll Isle and saw this at mouth of pass on the way in. Another environmental tragedy for locals and visitors alike. Liberal Media to focused on important issues (wink, wink) like impeachment and gun control. Very sad to see this.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Presently in Jekyll Isle and saw this at mouth of pass on the way in. Another environmental tragedy for locals and visitors alike. Liberal Media to focused on important issues (wink, wink) like impeachment and gun control. Very sad to see this.
I have my son and his partner who are guides and this is an economic issue for them Many clients like to eat trout and flounder that are caught this time of year. They bring their families to vacation and swim in waters and eat in local restaurants. Will they come?
Would you?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Check out FB Southeastern Angling. Boys wearing yellow suits handed out by CG to handle fish and marsh hens in marsh. Jekyll island bridge in background

·
Registered
671 Posts
If we would stop importing and exporting oil and rely on our own reserves this type of incident would be much less frequent.
I’m not one to talk talk politics, but I know that you know that’s a political subject. I remember the BP spill in the gulf and being in Cape San Blas, FL and the smell and the tar balls, and we all know it was nowhere near the panhandle. Now I live in Charleston, SC and they’re fighting offshore drilling so it doesn’t ruin the tourism and seeing rigs offshore. Then you have the red tape and protests everywhere else we (the politicians and 1%ers) want to drill. Oil importing/exporting likely won’t stop in our lifetimes, but I understand what you’re saying.

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
I’m not one to talk talk politics, but I know that you know that’s a political subject. I remember the BP spill in the gulf and being in Cape San Blas, FL and the smell and the tar balls, and we all know it was nowhere near the panhandle. Now I live in Charleston, SC and they’re fighting offshore drilling so it doesn’t ruin the tourism and seeing rigs offshore. Then you have the red tape and protests everywhere else we (the politicians and 1%ers) want to drill. Oil importing/exporting likely won’t stop in our lifetimes, but I understand what you’re saying.
Offshore is not even what I’m referring to. I’m in O&G in the Eagleford Shale and have been for a decade. If we would stop ripping these wells to hurry and produce oil while the price is up we could have all these wells produce plenty of oil and gas for 30-40 years. Opening chokes wide open depletes these wells faster and usually collapses the formation prematurely. There’s enough oil in North America on land to last us a very long time but we choose to buy Saudi Arabian crude and export our nice clean oil that needs much less refinement to get the end products.
Back to oil spills, tankers and offshore platforms.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The oil is coming mainly from the thousands of gals of fuel in the car carrier. 300 thousand is one estimate plus fuel and oil in 4000 Kia automobiles

1 - 20 of 25 Posts