SS prop wanted for 25 hp yam on Jon boat

Discussion in 'Prop Shop' started by Vbnole, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Vbnole

Vbnole I Love microskiff.com!

Looking for a stainless prop on my yammie 25hp on a lowe 1648. Currently has the stock aluminum. Currently when I try to jump on plane I experience cavitation and u can hear the prop slipping bad. Have to ease into the throttle for her to catch and hop up on plane. Once up on plane I can go from 3/4 throttle to full throttle and while the rpms increase my top end speed does not.

Any ideas on a prop selection that won't cavitate on take off and provide more top end performance?

Thanks in advance!

2. Dillusion

Dillusion devilray snob

You need a lower pitch, not a material difference.

3. fsae99

fsae99 I Love microskiff.com!

Is the cavitation plate level with the bottom of the hull?

No speed increase with RPM increase indicates to low of pitch. If the pitch were to high it would not cavitate on take off it would bog.

Are you sure your prop is not spun?

4. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

This

5. Vbnole

Vbnole I Love microskiff.com!

Positive the prop is not spun...and yes the caviation plate is perfectly level with the bottom of the boat. I tried that first thinking that was the problem but its perfectly level.

So lower or higher pitch (Conflicting info above) and what about getting a prop with some cup?

6. fsae99

fsae99 I Love microskiff.com!

Well the indications are that you need a higher pitch (2 to 1 recommendation). However, something just does not sound right and hate for you to spend money on new prop and not have it fix your issue.

Edit: If your prop is completely submerged there is no reason why it should slip so terribly.

Does the bow raise sharply on take off?

Does this occur the same in rough water and smooth water?

Post some pictures of the stern with prop and cav plate in relationship to bottom of the hull.

Regards,
    Jim

7. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

You need my prop im selling lol

8. Les_Lammers

Les_Lammers Well-Known Member

Call Power Tech and see what they recommend for your hull.