Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Spot lock type TM vs Talon type anchor

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  lemaymiami 
#1 ·
Hi folks ! I picked up a 1520 side console Key West as a project boat . My original plan was to hang a 70 4stk yammi (the lightest in it's class evidently) on an Atlas micro jack as well as add Lenco tabs . A Trolling Motor is a must for me because I don't pole . My question is because I'm already going to be adding the Atlas at 23lbs and Tabs around 18lbs do you think the extra weight of a talon would be worth it ? I hope to get a good TM with a reliable spot lock type feature maybe this could eliminate the need for the Shallow anchor?
My type of fishing is :
I love to fish and in the shallows as well but not a super serious fisherman . I'm about 240lbs already and sometimes fish w/ a friend around 210lbs
Thanks!

#2 ·
I have a minn kota with I pilot which includes spot lock. I also have a micro anchor on my B2 beavertail skiff. I fish shallow. Frankly I only use the spot lock when I am in say 5' of water because I want to tie on a different fly or untangle something etc. Makes too much noise for any kind of stealth fishing. I suppose it would be ok for offshore stuff. I like the micro anchor but you need to consider currents when you drop it down as skiff will spin some and that can be a problem as well for spooking fish at times. But if I was going to get a trolling motor I would definitely get an I pilot which will have the spot lock anyway and also some sort of stick anchor- talon or what have you that is appropriate for your size boat.

#3 ·
Agree with 7WT -- spot lock is more or less useless for the majority of shallow water fishing. It just creates way too much commotion. Great offshore though.

If weight is a real concern, you can get away with a Power Pole Micro, which I also use. For my kind of fishing, a powered stake anchor of some kind (Micro, regular Power Pole, Talon, or whatever) is truly a game changer.

Personally, if you're intent on saving weight, I'd pass on the jack plate, not the Power Pole. A jack plate is a big deal if a) you have a truly shallow running boat with a flat, almost flat, or tunnel bottom and a cupped propped that can run high on the plate without blowing out or b) you're trying to minimize drag at high speed to squeeze out every last bit of speed/efficiency.

Neither of those is going to be the case for you. I'm in no way knocking the little KW, but it's not going to run super shallow no matter what you do to it. That just isn't what it's made for. Best case you might pick up 2 to 4 inches of planing draft with the jack plate and be able to idle around in the shallow stuff a little easier.

Another option would be a manual stake anchor with one of those bracket/tube things near the bow. That way you can quickly and quietly deploy it while fishing.

Reactions: OED
#8 ·
I'd go with the tm only. Keep the weight up front, and cost down. I prefer motorguide but both are good. I have caught every kind of fish while using spot lock... I don't think it spooks fish too much in the deeper stuff.If it is too shallow to use spot lock, just loosen up the trolling motor height adjuster and let it sit in the mud. Works great. Or a cheap anchor. And yes, talons suck.

#9 ·
I would buy the trolling motor and something like a wang anchor in your case. The power pole micro is nice but I’m not a fan of them seeing as you still have to have two pieces to make it work, the anchor unit itself and a fiberglass pin.

Water transportation Vehicle Boat Speedboat Boating

Table Furniture Floor Technology Room

I’ll just leave this bottom picture from yesterday here for you too since Talons are being talked about.

#10 ·
I really like my micro anchor and I chose the battery style so no wiring needed. It does not weigh much and offers three control locations, a remote you can carry (around neck), one on your console, or wherever, sticks on per your location, and one on the unit, It is nice to have all three. Charge lasts quite awhile (never has gotten close to running out on me for a day) and the unit easily detaches for security. Design is well though out.

#11 ·
I've just come off of two days down at Flamingo working on a Pathfinder 23 (big motor, Minn Kota 24v troller with Spot lock, Power Pole, etc.). Fishing tarpon (and everything else) the spot lock was invaluable. The Power Pole was used only occasionally since we were mostly just outside the four to four and a half feet depths the Power Pole requires... And for those interested I've been staking out in depths up to ten feet for many years - with just my pushpole with my old Maverick....

I never saw the slightest instance of the Minn Kota putting off any of the fish we were working... It worked so well that I'm finally going to install one on my Maverick (the last time I had one on my skiff was more than 18 years ago...). these new ones are that good in my opinion.

That said, I'll never be using one up on the flats (but working backcountry shorelines or powering into range to use my push pole?... All day long...).

The good news for anyone with a 15' skiff is that all they'll need is a 12 volt model, so not a bunch of extra weight (enough though that some will decide not to have a troller on their skiff - but each to his own....). Very easy to put too much gear on any small skiff - and ruin it for the use you intended it for because of all the extra weight on the skiff....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.