Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new casting platform is done and I have a 12 volt rigid industries spot light I would like to mount to it.I plan on powering it from trolling motor plug on deck that is also wired as 12 volt with 50 amp breaker. I have a bocatech switch that matches my other switches I would like to use to operate power to light while running at not night when needed.(not intended as headlight to run on plane)Switch is rated for 15 amp max,light operates at 6.5 amps.Question is, with trolling motor turned on by switch at helm operating at full amperage short switch out or do I need a switch capable of the max 50 amp rhodan says ?sorry so long ,trying to be thorough.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Don't... Save yourself the hassle - always run your accessories from your fuse panel (or breaker panel) separate from other possible power sources. That way if you have trouble with your spotlight - there's nothing else involved...

That's a lesson I had to learn the hard way.... For that spotlight I'd run 14ga tinned copper cable (with the slight extra protection that the sheathing provides). That way you can run wiring up inside one of the legs of your tower. Drill a hole at each end of the pipe (down through whatever base your tower ends in so you have a path for your power cable up to the spotlight) - then introduce some dental floss so that you can pull it through with a shop vac. Once the dental floss is pulled through attach a light pull cord to that, pull it through, now you're ready to pull the cable through...

Hope this helps, aren't boats fun?

·
Registered
473 Posts
then introduce some dental floss so that you can pull it through with a shop vac.
This is a brilliant approach .... just in time for my week end project! Thanks Cap!

Reactions: DBStoots

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't... Save yourself the hassle - always run your accessories from your fuse panel (or breaker panel) separate from other possible power sources. That way if you have trouble with your spotlight - there's nothing else involved...

That's a lesson I had to learn the hard way.... For that spotlight I'd run 14ga tinned copper cable (with the slight extra protection that the sheathing provides). That way you can run wiring up inside one of the legs of your tower. Drill a hole at each end of the pipe (down through whatever base your tower ends in so you have a path for your power cable up to the spotlight) - then introduce some dental floss so that you can pull it through with a shop vac. Once the dental floss is pulled through attach a light pull cord to that, pull it through, now you're ready to pull the cable through...

Hope this helps, aren't boats fun?
Yeah,there fun ,when in water.thanks for advice,platform will be removable, didn't want to put another hole in deck for plug,hate cord on deck but looks like I will deal with it for light.light has plug on back so I can stow cord.wont be used but couple times a month on ride home at end of session.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
If you have a removable tower you can always fit a two pole plug (male to female) up inside the leg of your tower that only shows when you remove the tower.... Pull it apart and simply leave all the remaining wiring and your spotlight in (or on) the upper portion of your tower...

That way all the wiring is concealed - yet you're still able to have that pull apart feature... Easy enough to do with a tiny bit of slack up inside that leg of your tower...

·
I Love microskiff.com!
162 Posts
You could use a battery switch or similar selector switch to control the power. One leg to the switch for your 15amp light and one leg direct to the battery for your 50 amp TM. Might be more work then running a 59 amp switch. Just a thought.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
Sharp Hooks Matter
482 Posts
Your switch would need to match the set up. So no a 15 amp switch running a 50 amp TM would not work, or at least would not work for long.
You could tie in to the TM wiring and feed the light circuit. The 15 amp switch that powers the light will be good for the amps you are pulling. Your circuit will need a 15 amp fuse or breaker for fault and over current protection. The 15 amp circuit is not what would be powering the TM so there would be no impact to TM power unless you operated both the TM and light at the same time. If you operate both you may pull too many amps. The worst thing that would happen in this case is you will trip the 50 amp breaker. However, as Capt Bob said the best solution is wire an independent circuit to the fuse block.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Like I mentioned having more than one circuit on a given fuse or power circuit is a ticket to a bunch of aggravation when something goes south and you start popping fuses (or tripping a breaker...). I went round and round with a bait well pump, lumped in together with a lighting accessory circuit (side lighting for my center console along with a baitwell light..).

Run separate circuits - you'll be much happier in the long run...

·
Banned
12,340 Posts
Get a Stanley FatMax rechargeable LED spotlight. They are bright as hell, shine far, float lens up and charge quickly. Charge it off the 12v plug in the boat and it will last all night. You can also run it plugged in to 12v with a cigarette lighter adapter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts