Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

Registered
Ankona shadowcast 16
The last time I heard something like this I took a friend into the high country (above 10k whole
time) and he asked if he could just take his gear (half ass, he is cheap). I will let you all surmise how that went, I will just say a tad south of horrible.
Yea high country hiking and camping for days or hours on end is the same as tossing a 1/4 ounce jig on a rod lol good point what was I thinking 馃

Registered
I have Costas that I have had for years of hard use. Zero issues. This reminds me of how people maintain their boats and bitch about how they don鈥檛 last. I grew up farming and if you don鈥檛 take care of your shit, it won鈥檛 take
Yea high country hiking and camping for days or hours on end is the same as tossing a 1/4 ounce jig on a rod lol good point what was I thinking 馃
I guess you haven鈥檛 spent much time on the coast, weather is really mild, always. Super simple!

Registered
No knock on anyone but when your young and can鈥檛 afford to experience quality gear. This is usually the mentality. It was mine too. I have learned over the years that was maybe a lack of experience over time.

Registered
Ankona shadowcast 16
A thread on spinning rods for soft plastics and we get high country gear and sunglasses lol. Sorry EDresser I just wanted to give u some options in the 40 to 60 dollar range, didn't think it would hijack thread. And so far with good maintenance, i.e. washing rods off, wiping dry, and clean storage area my rods have lasted years and years.

Registered
Maverick HPXS
I have some 7.5ft Med/Fast stars that will throw a light soft plastic a mile but lack a little in feel. I also have used some super fast rods that can feel everything but sometimes give up range. Like everything seems to be a balancing act on what works.

Also take a look at some of the walleye jigging rods.

Registered
I like a M/L 7'0-7'6 rod and a 2500 reel with 10lb Sufix Braid. My current setup is a Daiwa BG 2500 on a St. Croix Inshore.

Registered
You can soak cut mullet with mono wrapped around the handle of a deck brush and handline in a redfish. No need for a reel at all and you can clean your deck with it when you're done.

None of us are fishing for sustenance though; we do it for fun. It's a lot more fun on a light, sensitive rod. By the way, the rod is more about working the lure than landing the fish.

Registered
It鈥檚 not complicated. Go the Bass Pro Shops and look at and flex rods. If you want something from a local shop, go there. Main thing is to handle the rod before you buy it. Put the tip on the floorm upside down, and apply force to bend the rod down into the handle. You will find what you like.

Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
It鈥檚 not complicated. Go the Bass Pro Shops and look at and flex rods. If you want something from a local shop, go there. Main thing is to handle the rod before you buy it. Put the tip on the floorm upside down, and apply force to bend the rod down into the handle. You will find what you like.
I never understood flexing the rod on the floor thing. When I see people doing that in a store I think they are googans.

Registered
I never understood flexing the rod on the floor thing. When I see people doing that in a store I think they are googans.
I understand your superstition. When I worked at Orvis I had the opportunity to visit with the employees and designers at the rod manufacturing facility often. They were my friends. The technique described is commonplace. There is no other method that one can see and understand how an individual rod flexes. If you had the apparatus to fasten your rod to, and use weights you could also achieve the same results.

Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
I understand your superstition. When I worked at Orvis I had the opportunity to visit with the employees and designers at the rod manufacturing facility often. They were my friends. The technique described is commonplace. There is no other method that one can see and understand how an individual rod flexes. If you had the apparatus to fasten your rod to, and use weights you could also achieve the same results.
If I were a merchant I wouldn鈥檛 want people bending rods on the ground then putting them back on the shelf.
I hold the rod by the handle and hit the butt to see where it flexes most then shake it a little. The best way of course is to fish it.

Registered
throwing artificials open water for reds (vs beating bushes):
7' - 7'6" / Med Power / Fast Action / 1/4 to 5/8oz lure rating on a 2500 size reel spooled w/10-15# braid.
or if confident and scale it back:
7' - 7'6" / Med Lite Power / Fast or XFast Action / 1/8 to 1/2oz lure rating on a 1000 or 2500 size reel spooled w/8-10# braid.

Registered
Maybe I just haven't spent enough time with spinning gear but if I'm sight casting reds I need to be accurate and quick. I'm a lot more accurate with the right baitcasting gear over spinning. What am I missing?

Registered
"I just haven't spent enough time with spinning gear"

...maybe spend some more time with spinning, everything has its place?

I Love microskiff.com!
Maybe I just haven't spent enough time with spinning gear but if I'm sight casting reds I need to be accurate and quick. I'm a lot more accurate with the right baitcasting gear over spinning. What am I missing?
Spinning tackle just casts light stuff that's used mostly for sight fishing much better. I've poled around a bunch of professional bass guys over the last 7 or 8 years. Those guys can throw baitcasters better than anyone (pretty amazing to watch them skip a jig under a dock without backlashing) and only fish spinning tackle when they have to. When they're sight fishing with plastics and light jigheads or swimbait hooks, they all fish spinning tackle.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts