Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Interested in this chain. Does anyone have any ideas on lures for sight fishing? Need to address the onset of non athlete fisherman hanging out in my boat whom aren’t able to throw a fly rod.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Interested in this chain. Does anyone have any ideas on lures for sight fishing? Need to address the onset of non athlete fisherman hanging out in my boat whom aren’t able to throw a fly rod.
Ive thrown a weedless live target shrimp with good success. Also rigged up a voodoo shrimp with a crimp on weight and weedless hook.

·
Registered
2005 Gordon Waterman 18'
234 Posts
Paddle tails - cast and straight retrieve for the less athletic

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
13,743 Posts
Small 2-3” plastic curl tail grubs or paddle tails in white (all water), watermelon (super clear water) and chartreuse (dirty water) are all you need. Use these on a 1/32oz Black Magic plain lead color screwlock jighead and you’ll catch all the redfish you want if you can cast.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,205 Posts
I really like the Slayer Lures Sinister Swim Tails (SSTs). They come in 3.5", 4" and 5" in a variety of colors. So, depending on time of year, location and target species, you should be able to find something that works. My personal favorite is a 4" in Cockroach color, rigged to an Owner Twist Lock hook.

·
Registered
169 Ranger Ghost
41 Posts
I have tried a lot of different setups over the years. I am extremely confident in this one. I stopped bringing more than two rods and very little tackle.

3/0 or 4/0 1/16oz or 1/8oz weight
Mustad Grip Pin Hook or
3/0 Gamakatsu 1/8oz EWG with
4” Zman PaddlerZ in Pinfish color

Other colors work well too. The fish don’t seem to care. But, subconsciously I think I get more strikes with this color. I don’t have real data to prove it, just a feeling.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
When sight fishing with conventional gear I use a baitcaster 99% of the time because I can get one with a gear ratio in the 7:1 up to 8.5:1 range that makes quick retrieves much easier when trying to retrieve fast for a second or third shot at the same fish or pod of fish. I like a 6’2”-6’4” medium power fast or extra fast action rod with a short rear grip to make super accurate quick casts. If baitcasters are not your cup of tea I understand. I’m just more comfortable with them because I’ve been using them over 30 years.
Yes and maybe it's just familiarity but I'm a lot more accurate with a baitcaster than a spinner. That thumb can make last moment adjustments.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Small 2-3” plastic curl tail grubs or paddle tails in white (all water), watermelon (super clear water) and chartreuse (dirty water) are all you need. Use these on a 1/32oz Black Magic plain lead color screwlock jighead and you’ll catch all the redfish you want if you can cast.
Yeah, very effective, or just say screw it, if they won't hit a topwater I don't want to catch them. 😁

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
13,743 Posts
Yeah, very effective, or just say screw it, if they won't hit a topwater I don't want to catch them. 😁
If you throw a topwater at a red in a foot of water it will rarely eat it, they will usually bolt. A finesse presentation seems to be the ticket.
I do love a topwater blowup but it’s not always the technique they like.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
If you throw a topwater at a red in a foot of water it will rarely eat it, they will usually bolt. A finesse presentation seems to be the ticket.
I do love a topwater blowup but it’s not always the technique they like.
Can't drop it close but when you can make them come to it....but yeah, soft plastics.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
75 Posts
Gulp Shrimp (does that count?) if you wanna go that route.. you can rig them a variety of different ways.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would like to suggest a rod that probably isn’t well known here. Dobyns. The champion series 7’9 is a rod I always have rigged for light plastics. Does a surprising job handling larger fish and launches baits.

·
Registered
Ankona shadowcast 16
117 Posts
I can't bring myself to spend 200 bucks on a rod. We all know how rods end up eventually lol. Dropped on driveway or boat deck, snapped on doorway, garage, tailgate, or bull red haha. I have 4 rods, 2 Penn squadron for 40 bucks each, and 2 okuma epixor for 60 bucks each. 6.6', 7', and 2 at 7'6. They all catch fish, cast, and set hooks. Soft plastics, spoons, twitch baits, top water, and have never had a problem casting and what not.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
13,743 Posts
I can't bring myself to spend 200 bucks on a rod. We all know how rods end up eventually lol. Dropped on driveway or boat deck, snapped on doorway, garage, tailgate, or bull red haha. I have 4 rods, 2 Penn squadron for 40 bucks each, and 2 okuma epixor for 60 bucks each. 6.6', 7', and 2 at 7'6. They all catch fish, cast, and set hooks. Soft plastics, spoons, twitch baits, top water, and have never had a problem casting and what not.
You sound like a bull in a china cabinet...if you spend $275-300 on a rod you probably wouldn’t chunk them around like firewood or treat them like you are filming an Ugly Stik commercial...just jokes.
In all seriousness, yes you can catch fish on a $50 rod but I think you are missing out on sensitivity, light weight and power by not trying a high end or even just a nice mid range rod. You should try a few different rods and see what you are missing.

·
Registered
Ankona shadowcast 16
117 Posts
You sound like a bull in a china cabinet...if you spend $275-300 on a rod you probably wouldn’t chunk them around like firewood or treat them like you are filming an Ugly Stik commercial...just jokes.
In all seriousness, yes you can catch fish on a $50 rod but I think you are missing out on sensitivity, light weight and power by not trying a high end or even just a nice mid range rod. You should try a few different rods and see what you are missing.
Hahaha yea just over all the years I've had a few incidents. But it's funny how fisherman r like women and shoes. All these pretty colors and expensive gadgets when all it really takes is a rod n reel. Not saying I wouldn't love a pretty lil light blue st Croix just saying can't see spending so much when I catch the same fish my buddy does with a Penn for 40 bucks 😜

·
Registered
1999 Carolina Skiff 16
1,184 Posts
Not to hijack, but the same is true for sunglasses. A friend told me that no way he would pay $200 for sunglasses. He sits on them, breaks them, lets them blow off his head,..... So I told him the same thing. Spend $200 and you will quit treating them like $20 glasses. Then I let him try my Costas. He's hooked.
I like my Ugly Stick spinning rods because they get abused. My fly rods are a different case. They get treated royally. I don't have Loomis or other top tier rods, but they are the best I can afford. I may be missing out on the sensitivity and power of higher priced rods, but I'm good with it.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Hahaha yea just over all the years I've had a few incidents. But it's funny how fisherman r like women and shoes. All these pretty colors and expensive gadgets when all it really takes is a rod n reel. Not saying I wouldn't love a pretty lil light blue st Croix just saying can't see spending so much when I catch the same fish my buddy does with a Penn for 40 bucks 😜
The last time I heard something like this I took a friend into the high country (above 10k whole
time) and he asked if he could just take his gear (half ass, he is cheap). I will let you all surmise how that went, I will just say a tad south of horrible.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts