Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get a new spinning rod for sight/shallow water fishing for redfish, mainly soft plastics. Been too caught up with fly fishing over the past few years, getting back to the basics to get more people I know out on the water has me looking into getting some better spinning gear. Looking at St. Croix Avid and Loomis G6X, but any recommendations would help. Probably something in the 7' to 7'6" range but action/power is where I'm struggling with the decision. Any input would help! Thanks!

·
Registered
Maverick HPXS
1,134 Posts
Are you throwing longer casts with lighter baits or short shots with heavier?

I mainly use a 7'6" med-light action rod (Star) with a 2500 reel and 10lb braid. My most common bait is an unweighted or lightly weighted Texas rigged soft plastic.

If you really want to make it east, use a medium/light action rod and throw shrimp on a small circle hook at fish.

·
Panhandler
3,178 Posts
My go-to for throwing DOA shrimp and shad tails (plus ADL weedless spoons) are Loomis E6X Inshore 902S. These are 7' 6", extra fast, medium light action rated for 6-12 pound test line (1/4- to 1/2-ounce lures). I have them matched with Shimano CI4+ Exsense reels loaded with 8-pound Power Pro. They are light enough to use all day, the soft tip gives plenty of casting distance yet they still have enough backbone to handle over-slot reds. With our spooky reds this combo has been working well for me.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Action:
I would definitely look at an actual fast action rod for soft plastics. It will give you good accuracy, and quick hooksets. I feel like a fast action is gold standard for soft plastics, can't go wrong there. Since you are fishing for reds you don't have to worry about a soft mouth tissue like a trout (in which case you might want a more moderate rod).

Length:
If you want accuracy go for a shorter rod. You also can work a bait with more precision with a short rod. If you are wade fishing and need extra distance for spooky fish go with that 7'6" rod. 7' rod would be that happy medium, which is why it is so popular.

Power:
I would probably look at medium light if you are using for shallow water applications. I would assume you would range from unweighted to up to 3/8 oz. weight correct? Like picking a fly line, check out the weight of the bait you will use and work your way back.

Brand:
I won't get into brands, seems like a very personal choice, and these days all the major brands make a quality rod.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate the input everyone. Would most likely be throwing something unweighted up to 3/8 oz. It'd probably be for short to medium shots with the weight in this range, and i'm sure sometimes as a search bait.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
13,690 Posts
When sight fishing with conventional gear I use a baitcaster 99% of the time because I can get one with a gear ratio in the 7:1 up to 8.5:1 range that makes quick retrieves much easier when trying to retrieve fast for a second or third shot at the same fish or pod of fish. I like a 6’2”-6’4” medium power fast or extra fast action rod with a short rear grip to make super accurate quick casts. If baitcasters are not your cup of tea I understand. I’m just more comfortable with them because I’ve been using them over 30 years.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
217 Posts
My go-to for throwing DOA shrimp and shad tails (plus ADL weedless spoons) are Loomis E6X Inshore 902S. These are 7' 6", extra fast, medium light action rated for 6-12 pound test line (1/4- to 1/2-ounce lures). I have them matched with Shimano CI4+ Exsense reels loaded with 8-pound Power Pro. They are light enough to use all day, the soft tip gives plenty of casting distance yet they still have enough backbone to handle over-slot reds. With our spooky reds this combo has been working well for me.
I also have a setup just like this that I really like. As Zika said, it is incredibly light. Can comfortably throw it all day long. I have mine paired with a Stradic CI4 2500 on the e6x med-light, and a Stradic 3000 on the Greenwater mag-med.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I think I have most of them them. Greg Allison's post above is a good post. You know there is no perfect rod, right?

To make it more complicated, I would add that if you're throwing jig heads on an open flat with no danger of the fish getting into cover then a ML sounds right. If you're throwing plastics near mangroves or are throwing weedless rigs where you need to set the hook thru the plastic, then either a medium or MH but I don't like using MH unless I absolutely have to.

Definitely fast action, it would even say extra fast in a 7'6" but X-fast shorter rods don't seem to cast well. Save the moderate actions for treble hooked lures on trout.

One good thing about the St Croix Avid you mentioned (I have 3) is that the guide frames are titanium which means you never worry about corrosion on them and they are lighter. They still use aluminum oxide rings and not silicone carbide but that's not a big deal. The other good thing about that rod is a 15-year warranty. If 5 years later you break the tip off on a mangrove trying to retrieve your lure, you can pay about $90 to have them send you what is now the new version of that $250 rod even though you broke it due to negligence.

The St Croix Legend Inshore has a better ergonomic real seat and a better blank for not a lot more money really. The Star VPR is priced in between the Avid and Legend and seems to spec'd a little closer to the Legend.

I have several GLoomis rods but now that I think about it as I write this, they are all more moderate actions.

If you made me pick just one rod under $275 it would likely be a St Croix Avid 7' Medium Fast but that VPR may get me too.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
583 Posts
When sight fishing with conventional gear I use a baitcaster 99% of the time because I can get one with a gear ratio in the 7:1 up to 8.5:1 range that makes quick retrieves much easier when trying to retrieve fast for a second or third shot at the same fish or pod of fish. I like a 6’2”-6’4” medium power fast or extra fast action rod with a short rear grip to make super accurate quick casts. If baitcasters are not your cup of tea I understand. I’m just more comfortable with them because I’ve been using them over 30 years.
I miss the old short "pistol grips" that used to come on the baitcasters. They seemed to be real handy for quick, short shots around cover. St Croix still lists a 5 1/2' in the Premier line with the old grip....

·
Registered
153 Posts
medium power / fast action - but thats just a real general response
where are you fishing?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I’m using a ML/Fast 7’ spinning w/2500 reel when using conventional. Change that to a ML/ModFast for trout . I’ve tried shorter, longer, x-fast, med, med heavy, etc.

As Smack said- I’ve also gone to using one rod (and a backup) to fish all day. I’m usually in open water. Targeting trout, reds, whatever. The ole less is more cliche. I do use a baitcaster for striper fishing- that’s a 6’8” light med heavy fast.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,198 Posts
Have recently bought two Legend Tournament Inshore spinning rods from St. Croix--both 7' med/fast. I throw a lot of small soft plastic baits on 1/8 oz. jigs. Really liking the rods. One is paired up with a Daiwa Saltist 3000 and other other with a Shimano Stradic 3000. Nice balance with both and both are light weight for all-day casting. Of the two, I like the Daiwa best. Good luck!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I sight fish and switch between fly and spin. I used 4000 size reels with 20 lb braid tied to a mono leader. 7' or 7'6' rod. medium action. if you catch any reds of any size, that is what you will want. Longer rod allows you to chunk it also from the tower is a biggun is far away.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts