Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MS crew,

After an altercation with a manatee/free-swimming piling/poseidon I've deposited my lower unit in 40' of water and am in the process of getting it replaced, along with picking out a new prop.

the old prop - Michigan wheel Rapture 13.25" 17"pitch RH with vent holes in the hub. I got great numbers and was generally satisfied wither performance but have never tried another propeller.

the boat - BackCountry ProGuide with pocket tunnel, manual Bob's jackplate with setback

the motor - 2006 Yamaha 90TLR

Anyone familiar with BackCountry boats knows they have a little bit of go-fast spirit in them; this model has the pad and pocket, and I'd like to get max top speed out of it. My local shop handed me a PowerTech RAF3 with the same diameter and pitch as the old prop. They did not recommend Michigan Wheel.

My question is, should I be looking at a different prop/style of prop/blade geometry to make her go fast? I saw the PTR3 listed on the PT website as a "performance" prop, but it only comes in a 13.5" diameter - will that fit my motor?

Disclaimer - I know that above all, I need to make sure I'm hitting the correct RPM at WOT, 5500 being the top of that range for this model motor. The old prop did this and put me at 45 with a fishing load & buddy.

Disclaimer 2 - I have an email in to Powertech, I'm just looking for extra opinions/knowledge and non-brand-specific advice.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,001 Posts
Got 2 props that might fit ur rig power tech Red 3r17pym90 and scd3r17ym90 both in great shape. Private message if interested. Currently ran both on yamaha f70la on 18x60 flat. Also have access to yamaha 19" n 20" pitch I ran on my 1987 yamaha 90 2 stroke.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I purchased a black stainless Yamaha prop 13.75 x 17 and had it re done by a local prop shop into a 13.25 x 17. I get 5500 at 40 mph, WOT fully rigged, 30 gallons of gas and a buddy with my 90TLR.

I want my motor to last a long time instead of 3 or 4 mph faster.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I purchased a black stainless Yamaha prop 13.75 x 17 and had it re done by a local prop shop into a 13.25 x 17. I get 5500 at 40 mph, WOT fully rigged, 30 gallons of gas and a buddy with my 90TLR.

I want my motor to last a long time instead of 3 or 4 mph faster.
Do we have the same boat? Mine has a 20 gallon tank...

I'm not talking about running outside of the max WOT RPM range or even running WOT all the time. Just looking for a performance prop to prioritize speed over holeshot or performance with heavy loads, etc.

·
Registered
549 Posts
oh wait, just noticed you have the 151. I was talking about the 169.
Wow, 90 on a 151 must be a rocket ship. Those were only rated for 50s (I believe) back when BC was in business. Is it scary to run? Squat a lot?
I always wanted to go bigger on mine..

"My question is, should I be looking at a different prop/style of prop/blade geometry to make her go fast?"
Again changing a prop up or down in diameter or pitch, ported or not, double cupped, cleaver Michigan or PT etc etc will not get you a lot more speed. 3 to 4 mph maybe. But wait for the experts to tell you that since you are waiting on a reply.

·
Registered
919 Posts
SWW 3 15 pitch. I had the same motor on a much heavier 14.5' Texas tunnel boat, and saw high 40's with 2 people and 18+ gallons of fuel, beer, ice, etc..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts