Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going through some old pics today and this snook just looks funny. Thick body, lateral line going all the way through the tail...is this a fat snook? If it is, it's a beast and a long way from where he should have been.
Snook9-11-16.jpg

·
Registered
929 Posts
I was going through some old pics today and this snook just looks funny. Thick body, lateral line going all the way through the tail...is this a fat snook? If it is, it's a beast and a long way from where he should have been.
View attachment 118942
Dbstoots posted a picture of big snooker, fat with lateral line all the way to tail just like your fish earlier in fishing reports

·
> PRO STAFF <
7,523 Posts
Blech! What ya' got there is a nasty old bucket mouth soapfish.
Yep, that's what we called 'em caused they tasted like they was sprinkled with Ivory dish powder.
Rather be ketchin and eating mango snapper and sheepers than that nasty old thing.
Always turned those hand slicers loose cause there was better eating things out there. ;)

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I remember correctly, he was like 26-27"ish, but I always let snook go nowadays. Size and location tells me he almost has to be a common snook. But he just looks weird to me?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,814 Posts
Yes, I think it's a Fat Snook. They are larger in the body than other snook. Also, darker and more yellow-brown or greenish-brown. And, as someone else suggested, the lateral line extends through the tail. I think there are 5 or 6 different types of snook in the East. Here's some good information. http://fishidentificationblog.blogspot.com/p/snook-species.html

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Man, I wish I had paid better attention at the time. If it's a fat snook, it's got to be close to a world record.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Lateral line going into the tail is what confirms this is a fat snook for me. In addition to the larger body size, the mouth begins just around the eye which is another tell tale sign.

Hell of a catch!!

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
I'm still not sure. After reading more, I kind of doubt that either my fish or the one SamliPirate caught are Fat Snook. I think we can send pictures to the Snook and Gamefish Foundation for identification. I'll send mine in.
where were they caught?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts