Speargun advice

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by bandish3313, Jul 9, 2014.

1. bandish3313

bandish3313 I Love microskiff.com!

I need help on choosing a speargun for mid size fish, it needs to have two bands ?

2. Godzuki86

Godzuki86 FlounderPounder

Kinda interested to see what is said about this. I am getting another 36" gun for my keys trip. Used to have a 3 band 48" riffe.

Andy

3. sm20cf

sm20cf I Love microskiff.com!

What's the draft and beam?

4. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

Lol yea this is an off topic subject, but you came to the right place as im an avid freedive spearfisherman
    what and where are you trying to shoot?
    Most "reef" guns are 2 bands or one thick 18 mm band, usually 2 because its easier to load than the thick single band

5. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Reef diving? My preference was a Hawaiian sling.
    Besides, it was the only thing legal in the Bahamas back then.
    Open water under the weed mats I used an old 2 band 46" Voit.

6. cutrunner

Unfortunately the reefs arent what they used to be. And the fish that are there are very spooky and will almost never let you get close enough for a sling to be effective. Thats not to say a sling can't still kill fish. I like using them and think everyone needs to spear for a whole year with a sling or pole before moving onto a gun. A sling or pole spear teach you how to read the fishes movements and learn how to stalk.

GZ when you going to the keys and what key?
    Im going down july 19-23 south marathon

7. Godzuki86

I am headed down august 13-20 Royce. Darn, too bad our paths don't cross. We are staying in south largo. Searched for islamarada but couldn't find a place.

Andy

8. cutrunner

Be careful spearing in key large. Anything north of Long key you need to be 3 miles from land on the atlantic and 9 on the gulf side. Just a warning if you didn't know already

Yea it would have been cool to meet

9. Godzuki86

We won't be spearing there. Will be trailering south for our days not in the park. Got a pm coming to you too Royce.

Andy

10. cutrunner

Well im going to be spearfishing for most of the trip (hopefully), If you plan on spearing in marathon I will give you some numbers (if I find anything lol)