spear hunting wild boar !!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by strmiskam, Feb 18, 2014.

1. strmiskam

strmiskam I Love microskiff.com!

ive hunted pigs with rifles, and dont hunt with rifles anymore because i feel it gives me to much of an unfair advantage . so now i only hunt with my bow and a knife for these beasts. i only kill anything i am going to eat and never give myself any advantage over my game but there is one method that would be even more primitive to try, spear hunting. what do you think? this is the spear http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cold-Steel-Boar-Spear/715538.uts :D

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

I'll pass. Too much like work.

On the family farm out by Live Oak, we consider hogs to be vermin.
    Destructive to crops and the feed bins for livestock. We don't hunt 'em.
    It was easy enough to build a pen/trap and bait it with a few ears of corn.
    Never get the big sows or boars, but always end up with eating sized young pigs.

3. texasnative46

texasnative46 I Love microskiff.com!

Brett,

Have you tried trapping them for sale? = We have a lady from OK contracted who traps the "wee piggies" (Some weigh 500#), loads them into a stock trailer, takes them to market & sends us a check every 60 days.
    ("Traci" has been catching/selling so many off our farm that it's become a supplemental income for our family.)

Note to all: If you don't have pigs, just wait.

yours, satx

4. Les_Lammers

Les_Lammers Well-Known Member

Be sure to post a video. Should be good for a Darwin Award. ;D

5. Gramps

Gramps Living &amp; Dying in 3/4 Time

satx - if you ever need someone to help thin the herd, let me know ;) Always enjoy some nice pork roast on the grill.

River - like the others said, make sure the camera is running! It may be on more even terms but an ethical kill, IMO, is very important.

6. texasnative46

Gramps,

How far are you from San Antonio? = Our farm in far NE Texas is "contracted" to Traci by the year BUT I can generally find someone, who needs less "wee piggies", if you're in south TX.

Fwiw, pigs that dress-out about 60 pounds are my favorite, put on the BBQ pit whole. ======> YUMMY.

yours, satx

7. Shalla Wata Rider

Shalla Wata Rider Well-Known Member

You Go Lord Of The Flies! ;)...Well said by all... I certainly agree with Gramps on a ethical kill . I too have hung up the rifle for the bow, it requires more commitment and in turn the reward has been greater (to me anyway).  That being said I guess you could practice enough to be Ethically accurate...definitely film it and keep us posted on your practice shots (yardage ect.). 

8. texasnative46

To All,

When I was stationed in Germany years ago, there was a "sub-set" of Jaegers, who hunted wild boar from horseback & afoot. = I never tried it but I'm told that a good spearman can take boar without great difficulty.

yours, satx

9. strmiskam

strmiskam I Love microskiff.com!

i will definately film, my buds and i are going to start making "shows" of our shanagins and fishing/hunting trip so i will keep yall informed as well. it is definately a rush getting charged then shooting but i totally agree with the above post, i wont be hunting with until i can proficiently kill humanely. [smiley=2gunsfiring_v1.gif]

10. Gramps

Gramps Living &amp; Dying in 3/4 Time

SATX - I am in Austin and/or Houston frequently! But really was just joshing you, thanks for the offer though. :cool:

River - Good to hear! Keep us updated and please, oh please, use the famous last words of the redneck: Hey y'all, watch this!

11. texasnative46

Gramps,

NO problem. = Since I've come home to TX after I retired from the Army, I've found & "put together" numerous "hog-hunters" & "ranchers with surplus hogs". = It's NOT hard.

yours, satx

12. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

When the ferals get too numerous, there's a local that set up traps
    and sells the hogs to make a living. All we do is keep the shoats from getting too thick.
    The trapper can clear out a herd in a week, so he moves from county to county as needed.

13. texasnative46

Brett,

Back in the "olden days" our tribe ran THOUSANDS of hogs in the East Texas river bottoms, in the "border counties" along the Sabine River. - Every year, the hogs were rounded up, vaccinated, most of the young boars were castrated, the young pigs had their ears marked and the "surplus" pigs were parceled off to each family for sale or meat for their extended families.
    (When I was a child in the 1950s, my maternal grandfather was still "running hogs" & he literally sold a train-load each year to the Ft Worth market.)

When "open range husbandry" was ended in the 1960s, the "feral hog plague" began, as you couldn't do round-ups anymore. = That's what "government interference" in private capitalism causes!!!

yours, satx