Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys newer to the forum.
Harry Spear is currently building me a glades x rocket ship. I say rocket ship because we are powering it with a 50hp tohatsu for the long runs I have to make. I should have build pics up soon. I will say Harry is awesome to deal with and after riding on a glades x and poling one I can assure you he builds a bad ass boat. I've never ran so shallow. We literally passed kayaks that were beached. I know it sounds crazy but we did. I'll post pics soon.

·
Registered
680 Posts
def keep us posted. any way you could share what all options you put on it and final build price? i think this is going to be my next skinny skiff.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
def keep us posted. any way you could share what all options you put on it and final build price? i think this is going to be my next skinny skiff.
Will do. Of you get the chance to wet test one I highly recommend it. It's unlike any other boat I've ridden in. I'm always skeptical about how tunnels will pole and this boat absolutely blew my mind by how well it did.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Yeah I hear a lot of great things about those boats.

·
Paddling away...
6,530 Posts
Nice, looking forward to seeing the pics.

As a moderator stated to mention things like this, this post should be moved to bragging spot.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like this boat may be a lot better for a place that a tunnel is really needed like deep south TX.
This boat would be perfect for South Texas. I lived in corpus for 2 years and it would be perfect for the lower laguna Madre.However the chaz river here in central Florida is a lower unit graveyard especially in the winter time when we have negative lows. The Texas bottom is forgiving mostly as it is a mud bottom with scattered oysters. The bottom here is literally slabs of rock. One piece of lime rock can be several acres in size. Trust me if you want run here in the back country you will want a tunnel or what most localsuccessful use is an airboat.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Nice, you'll love it and yes, it poles like a dream. I love mine.

Tiller ? Coffin box? Hatches? Jack Plate?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got a tiller with a coffin box that sits width way across the boat so I can use it as a lodge bench for clients. No hatches on the boat. I have a few simms boat bags that will hold just about everything I need. Harry and I are coming up with ideas for mounting striping buckets to the poling platform and front tower. I'm sure I'll love it! It is insane how skinny this boat will run. I rode on one in upper tampa bay and we were going where I've only seen airboatsome and wade fishermen it was wild.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
You must have hitched a ride with Ryan.

Reactions: Saltychicken

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,584 Posts
I've seen a Glades X in the upper bay. If its the same one, such a sick boat.

You can tell who the locals are, they know where to run on what tides. ;)

Reactions: commtrd

·
Registered
517 Posts
How much ballpark did a spear glades x with a tunnel run for just the hull and trailer? I've always thought they were great looking boats by the way.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,007 Posts
Will do. Of you get the chance to wet test one I highly recommend it. It's unlike any other boat I've ridden in. I'm always skeptical about how tunnels will pole and this boat absolutely blew my mind by how well it did.
Please advise what the performance numbers are as I have a non tunnel version with a 25++ Yamaha and thought about a 2 stroke 50 repowering....

1 - 20 of 140 Posts