Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just ordered a spare prop for my Cayenne, found a new Turning Point Hustler aluminum prop in 13.25x21 on amazon warehouse for $18.77 and the hub for $26 couldn’t resist lol. Went with aluminum for weight and I really want to see if that 60etec will spin it fast enough running a 17 Rogue with a good bit of cup and can still hit the rev limiter. What are y’all keeping your spare props in? I thought about a pelican but they are so dang heavy. Also thought about a dry bag and some towels. I just do t want it sliding around the bow compartment chipping paint on the fuel tank.

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,517 Posts
Have a plastic tub that it will fit in that will fit in a hatch. You could also put other things in with it. You shouldn’t care if it gets wet

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah don’t care about it getting wet just the damage it can do bouncing around small Rubbermaid would probably be good

·
Registered
377 Posts
Attwood used to make a pretty simple prop storage container, round yellow box if I remember right. I have looked and can't find it now, may have been discontinued. Best bet might be checking someplace like the Container Store and just getting something that meets the dimension requirements.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Just put it in a large container with all the other emergency items you’ve never used including the tools to swap it. Or. If you have an out of the way spot you could epoxy in a carriage bolt. You could then use a large washer and wing nut to bolt it in place. Or, throw it in your cooler every trip if you bring one. Or, you could really screw with people and mount it on the bow in some way and tell them you have the first boat with two wheel drive.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
For many years I've just wrapped my beaten up old spare in a square of old indoor/outdoor carpet to keep if from scuffing up my bow compartment... It fits precisely into that forward Vee portion of your bow like nothing else (and my prop isn't a micro in any sense or the word since I run an E-Tec 90...). Why anyone would pay money for a spare prop when all you really need is a "get me home" in case you damage your primary -is beyond me...

·
Registered
142 Posts
At the risk of jinxing myself, I’ve owned and ran boats for over 45 years, never had to put on a spare prop. I don’t carry one, never have. I do have Tow Boat US just in case of a break down.

·
Registered
745 Posts
just ordered a spare prop for my Cayenne, found a new Turning Point Hustler aluminum prop in 13.25x21 on amazon warehouse for $18.77 and the hub for $26 couldn’t resist lol. Went with aluminum for weight and I really want to see if that 60etec will spin it fast enough running a 17 Rogue with a good bit of cup and can still hit the rev limiter. What are y’all keeping your spare props in? I thought about a pelican but they are so dang heavy. Also thought about a dry bag and some towels. I just do t want it sliding around the bow compartment chipping paint on the fuel tank.
I'm running a 19" Rogue on my ETEC 60 on a 17' Tavernier and it is just about right. I tried a 17" Solas Titan HR I picked up used for a great deal and it was way too easy to hit the rev limiter

·
FlounderPounder
1,239 Posts
C8297548-A036-4912-9A1C-ECEBD000B099.gif
Make one out of starboard.

Cut a base larger than the prop barrel diameter.

Use a holesaw to cut a notch out that the barrel fits in.

Then put a threaded rod through the base that goes through the hub (kind of like how the battery hold downs work)

Screw the base down somewhere and your prop doesn’t go anywhere.

·
FlounderPounder
1,239 Posts
Tailchaser - That’s pretty cool. I wish I had seen this when I had my action craft. I didn’t have the room for prop storage

1 - 16 of 16 Posts