Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Depending on how work goes this weekend.... Planning on checking out Southport/Buzzard bay area. Looking at launching at south port marina or the public ramp at fish factory rd.

How is it crossing the bay from Southport to Buzzards bay? Any tips and tricks of the area would be greatly appreciated. Here its super shallow.

FYI - have a 1656SM

·
Registered
88 Posts
Ive done it a lot in my 16 dragonfly Emerger. The key is to understand the tide and the wind in regards to the river channel. If you have the wind bucking the tide north/south then you will need to cross at the east-west section of the channel behind Oak Island. Run through Elizebeth river and crossing the channel heading due north till it calms down. If you have the river bucking east/west in that section then you will need to run elizebeth river and hug the backside of oak island close and run dead at BHI. if its blowing less than ten it wont be a problem. Back in Buzzards bay is super sketchy and shallow. navigate on a rising tide and look out for oyster rocks. cape creek is the easiest to navigate in this regard and you should be ok till you get to the very back on any tide. the bottom half of buzzards bay is 4" at low tide so stay away from there on the fall. The back of #2 and #1 can be quite skinny as well. There is also bad sandbars around where the marsh hits the river so pay attention.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I put in at federal point most of the time. I know the channel real well. At low tide you have to get on plane in the boat ramp and make a hard left around the bulkhead to get around the sandbar. The rest of the channel is really sketchy and you should learn it on a clear sky and rising tide. The hole in the rocks can be tricky too. I’ll be down there this afternoon and Saturday morning if you wanna meet up I’m down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.