Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Someone measure their Suzuki 20HP for me?

1080 10
I am having trouble finding a Suzuki short shaft motor to measure in my area. I would like to know the height from top of cavitation plate to top of the mount clamp(like where it rests on your transom).
The boat I'm rebuilding has an 18" transom and I'm wondering if I will have to use a setback to keep enough water on the foot to prevent cavitation and/or overheating.
Suzuki "recommends" a 15" transom but doesn't give the measurement from cav plate to clamp anywhere.
Thanks,
Shell
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, that helps! Gives me hope at least :)
If they built the long shaft to 2" over what they recommend for the transom, then maybe they engineered the short shaft model similarly.
A measurement for the short shaft would still be appreciated though... if any of you are standing near your 20HP Suzuki short shaft motor... and a tape measure is nearby.... and you're feeling that Christmas spirit... :)
Thanks ya'all

· Registered
1,886 Posts
I mounted my Suzuki slightly too high and couldn't move it down without major work. The prop blew out frequently before I added more cup to the stainlees prop. No over heating issues. So,if the shaft length is longer than 15" ,you are probably good. If not, a cupped prop helps.Fwiw.

· I Love microskiff.com!
274 Posts
I am having trouble finding a Suzuki short shaft motor to measure in my area. I would like to know the height from top of cavitation plate to top of the mount clamp(like where it rests on your transom).
The boat I'm rebuilding has an 18" transom and I'm wondering if I will have to use a setback to keep enough water on the foot to prevent cavitation and/or overheating.
Suzuki "recommends" a 15" transom but doesn't give the measurement from cav plate to clamp anywhere.
Thanks,
Shell
I just checked mine again to be sure and it’s 17”. (It’s one of the current 4 stroke EFI models)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.