Some Trailer TLC

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by jboriol, Dec 7, 2014.

1. jboriol

jboriol I Love microskiff.com!

The skiff is under re-construction so I'm working on my trailer until the skiff is ready.  It's a 2010 in OK shape, but needs some TLC so I planning to wet sand the brushed aluminum with Scothbrite pad which is working well, and buff out the polished aluminum fenders with Flitz which works great.  Now some wiring, new hubs and powder coating, etc.

Then I'm hitting the whole thing with Sheila Shine stainless cleaner that I stole from my wife.  Works great and gives a protective coating...anybody tried this before?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. timemachine

timemachine I Love microskiff.com!

Looks great. My trailers all look like they are on deaths door. I just pack the bearings every once in a while. That, plus making sure that the lights work to keep the law off of me, and that's about it.

3. bw510

bw510 I Love microskiff.com!

I buffed my fenders like that once and it eventually gets dull again
    Definitely looks good! And if you keep up with it it will stay shiny.

4. tomahawk

tomahawk Well-Known Member

Did you use one of those foam buffers you use in a drill? Those work pretty good and beats doing it by hand for sure. Looks great.

5. jboriol

jboriol I Love microskiff.com!

Amazing the work you'll do when you don't have a boat luring you out on the water! So I finished the trailer up today and it's going back to Glasser awaiting the skiff restoration.  Wet sanded with scotchpad and wire brush where needed and then Sheila shined all the aluminum, added break-away tongue, changed out hubs and cleaned the rims with acid etching rim cleaner. She looks like new!

[​IMG]