Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I am not smarting of here. I saw a well known Microskiff sunk at the dock last week. No brand name mentioned. I looked up the boat and saw it was rated for 4hp. The genius launching the boat hung a 9.8 4-stroke Merc on it.

The skiff was nice looking. Had a pretty high poling platform and a grab rail for standing while tiller steering plus a small casting platform forward. 14 feet long and mighty narrow.

When the boat was launched, the stern went under the water and a bunch came aboard. There was a deck drain similar to a sink fitting near the transom. The drain hose had slipped off the drain and water came in FAST. The boat went down FAST too.

I'm an old man (77) and have been on the water most of my life. I'm not as agile as I once was but still fish out of a little 11'2" Johnsen skiff (basic rental type boat) with an 8hp Merc., 55# thrust trolling motor. I think I have about $1000 in the rig. There have been several tons of Tarpon caught out of this boat.

I can't imagine what the little high dollar boat cost only to sink at the dock on the first launch.

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,494 Posts
Sounds like operator error. Like to have seen pictures. Congratulations on catching Tarpon on your little boat. No tarpon yet on my big fat boat. Maybe if i downsize....

·
Registered
357 Posts
Always interesting when I read stuff like this. The difference in weight from a 4 to a 9.9 amounts to maybe 45 lbs. Really not much since all boats under 20' shouldn't sink at all even if you drilled holes in it, per CG level flotation requirements (there are possible exclusions). And that's at the skiffs rated weight capacity. The only error the operator made was the choice of manufacturer.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Not to squabble here but the real error is the owner/operator "over-powered" the vessel. I did a quick average of weights from a 4hp to a 9.9hp (most 9.9hp share a 15hp block ) and over 50lbs is what I came up with. Now add the weight of the poling platform of either 10-18lbs added that's a lot of weight on the end of a boat that is only 14' long. Had he had savings in weight on the transom I'm sure the outcome would be different. Hard for level flotation to kick in if the extra weight is on the back end or in this case most of the max weight is on the rear. I'm sure pride was hurt instead of actually getting hurt so I hope the operator learned a lesson?
Now the builder could be at fault for not having a "double-clamp" on hose connection since its below waterline too but still, the vessel was over-powered.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I love fast as much as the next guy but I spoke with a gentleman in the mosquito lagoon with a power trim/tilt 25 etec on his gman. I couldn’t imagine poling that by my lonesome.

I believe we’re all allowed to poke fun at people like this because most of us have done our fair share of stupid stuff on boats.

·
Registered
576 Posts
9hp outboard and poling platform shouldn't matter at launch. An extra 50lbs or so aft isn't even close to the amount a person puts on when sitting aft.

Hole in the boat below the waterline, launched way too fast or both is the more likely culprit.

·
Premium Member
1,674 Posts
I sometimes would stick around at the ramp for the entertainment value. :rolleyes:
I've been entertained a couple times.
This guy backs his boat down the ramp but stopped before the i/o got to the water then gets out to prep the boat for launch which POed the people waiting their turn. Then he's in the little cruiser having his very hot wife hand him a few things for their boating day. Now that they are all ready to go she gets into the car with head poking out the window. Some where I've got a picture of the gal behind the wheel. It's one of those old barn door Lincolns. Hubby is in the boat giving directions to her as she inches down the ramp, then the yelling got pretty loud as he's wanting her stop... which the car did stop going down the ramp once the water level reached about a foot below the drivers window.

I have a policy that I don't talk or interact with another's wife/girl when the guy is irate.
But this time I could not help myself. As I took her picture behind the wheel of the flooded car I called loud enough him and the rest of the audience to hear "smile" :)

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I don’t buy it sank because it was overpowered. Some gear or a person sitting on it as it was backed down would out weigh the motor difference. Here is my opinion from behind a keyboard. So a bunch of water comes over the stern as I assume there is no rear deck to shed it off? Most skiffs would fill with water if there was not a rear deck. It can’t recover as there is too much water in it. Something about a drain hose coming off. Did that let more water in. Or just allow as much or more water back in than a bilge pump could handle?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,104 Posts
What’s 14’ long, narrow and max 4hp? Hmm. Was he sitting in the back of the boat while launching? Maybe he left a strap on or something

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
But you have what, 3 or 4 feet of deck water has to cover before filling cockpit? You’re good. If it were the Ambush style of skiff in the OP. Those are on the edge of sinking by design. Nothing that low, able to fill with water and motorized should be sold as a boat/motor capable vessel. It’s a SUP with big bucket in the middle of it. Ready to go under just poling it around.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
What’s 14’ long, narrow and max 4hp? Hmm. Was he sitting in the back of the boat while launching? Maybe he left a strap on or something
13 Gheenoe is rated for 5hp max
Pretty common for people to put 8 and 10 on the 13
If it was built as just a canoe without benches or decks then it would sink very quickly

1 - 20 of 47 Posts