SOLO SKIFF

Discussion in 'The Commercial Zone' started by SKIFFGUY, Jun 6, 2012.

1. SKIFFGUY

SKIFFGUY Let's go fishing !

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  2. paint it black

paint it black Paddling away...

Looks kind of cool, but a lot like the Ambush by Pelican Flats Boats....

What's the price tag on one of these bad boys?

3. Ken_Bales

Ken_Bales Fly fishing is almost as good as sex!

To me, the Solo Skiff looks nothing like the Pelican, IMHO. I see two major differences right off the bat...1) the Solo Skiff is an open cockpit design; therefore, no need for angst regarding being swamped by another boat's wake, or should the wind kick up, as the water would retreat right off the stern, looks like to me. In fact, I feel the Solo Skiff's design would also make beach launches possible in certain conditions 2) The motor mount on the Solo Skiff looks to be forward of the stern about two feet? I think this design would aid in the overall balance of the skiff as well.

Great design job, Skiffguy! I really look forward to seeing a finished product. Better yet, I look forward to getting my hands on one!

4. Ken_Bales

Also, notice the reverse transom...very cool indeed!

5. John_Rosende

John_Rosende I Love microskiff.com!

Good job...I hope you guys are proud.

6. John_Rosende

Looks like same exact color as the last Ambush posted on the Florida Sportsman website. Nice price point...$150 less than the original (Pelican).

I guess McDowell's created the big Mac way before McDonald's.

7. hookemdano

hookemdano Well-Known Member

In you first 2 posts it seemed liked you were sincerely happy for this company and their new venture, but with your 3rd post I am not so sure. So why don't you clarify?

8. hookemdano

hookemdano Well-Known Member

And for the record, I think this is boat is cool as hell. As is the pelican ambush, and the nano skiff ( should it ever come to market).

9. Flyguru420

Flyguru420 I Love microskiff.com!

I agree with hookemdano, I like the concept of both boats (The Ambush and the Solo). Would like to see videos of the finish product Solo in action and performance numbers to really compare it to the Ambush.

10. AfterHours2

AfterHours2 Stripper in my own Mind!

Anyway you look at it, it's still better than a yak IMHO. Having the flexibility to use power, stand comfortably and stay dry is definitely a positive. Having owned an Ambush "Light" which is a similar concept, I was very happy with the simplicity of the rig. I'm sure it will be a hit when a few actually give a wet test...

11. John_Rosende

Agreed...both are way cooler than a Kayak.

12. AfterHours2

AfterHours2 Stripper in my own Mind!

And Solo Skiff is a perfect name for this rig. That was my main objective for buying the similar. A trailer is probably a nice addition for I did a few NMZ trips without one and it didn't last long. After winds switch during the afternoon and you spend an hour or so paddling, a 100lb + is the last thing you want to throw in the back of the truck. You could possibly offer an aluminum jet ski style trailer custom matched with purchase. They work PERFECT. And low maintenance....

13. mhinkle90

mhinkle90 Let it scream!!!

sweet rig. good price point. would love to see a wet test video!!!

14. SKIFFGUY

I have suff coming... Had bad weather in jax since I finished #1. Im hitting the water Monday for pics and stuff.... So its coming fellas.... Still working on site too .... but its ready.
    BTW Thnks for the kind words everyone. The response about the Solo Skiff has been wonderful.

15. SKIFFGUY

[​IMG]

Yeup.... videos posted on solo skiff web soon !!!
    ;D

16. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

My eyes! My eyes! Ahhhhhhhhhh....
    The glare off the deck ain't bad
    but those old white guy legs are lethal!

:eek:

[​IMG]

I should know. I've got 'em too.

Two words SG, LONG PANTS!   ;D

17. Ken_Bales

Brett
    Pro Staff

Palm Coast, Florida

Re: SOLO SKIFF
    Reply #20 - Yesterday at 5:57pm

My eyes! My eyes! Ahhhhhhhhhh....
    The glare off the deck ain't bad
    but those old white guy legs are lethal!

You're killing me, Brett...."old guy"..."white legs"? Wow!
    Nonetheless, that was skiffguy's plan all along...put me on it so as to not take away from the Solo Skiff's grand maiden voyage. He should have known better than to put on it! ;D

18. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Couldn't resist E-L, do you now how close that "old guy" pic is
    to what I used to see walking down Collins on Miami Beach?
    Almost the spittin' image of a retired New York'a heading to Wolfies deli.
    You got the black socks, only thing missing is a set of sandals
    and your waistband zipped up to sternum level!

;)

19. Ken_Bales

All kidding aside, the Solo Skiff is an amazing little skiff.  While most of us agree there is no perfect boat for all reasons, I think this one is as good as it gets for one in it's class.  It's highly versatile, as it can be propelled by a paddle, push pole, trolling motor, or a small outboard motor.  It's highly maneuverable, poles effortlessly, and tracts straight too.  In addition, the Solo Skiff provides exceptionl stability for such a small micro skiff (just look at Skiffguy staning on the gunnel in one of the pics above).  Above all though, the Solo Skiff is extremely safe.  With it's open cockpit design this little skiff can't be swamped.  Moreover, if you fall off it's easy to climb back on.

If you're in the market for a micro, the Solo Skiff is certainly worthy of your consideration. [smiley=bravo.gif]

20. lap4524

lap4524 I Love microskiff.com!

Very interesting little skiff!