Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Solo fly fishing Gladesmen

1913 11
Im wondering if anyone has any experience poling a Gladesmen and fly fishing solo. I currently do this off a maverick micro so I’m familiar with the process and know that it can be difficult. I don’t want to pole from the bow. I’m hoping that with the smaller boat and not being as high on the platform it will be easier. Does anyone have any experience with this?
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2005 East Cape Gladesman. 2005 Panga Marine 22.
6,511 Posts
I fly fish from my gladesman solo but I actually fish from the front and use a standup paddleboard paddle instead of the push pole. If you don't put weight upfront while you're on the stern you'll have major hull slap. I however don't have a poling platform but use a casting platform for poling from the stern. They're cool ass little skiffs I love mine.

· Registered
1,332 Posts
I don't have a Gladesman and would defer to @Backcountry 16 experience will hull slap, but I mainly fly fish solo (out of a BT Micro). I prefer to pole from the poling platform and not the bow. I don’t have any Hull slap issues unless in a pretty good chop solo.

• Better visibility (even over a casting platform on the bow)

• Better maneuverability / easier to control movement

• I don’t have to worry about hitting the side of my boat with the pole.

· Registered
877 Posts
I fly fish from my gladesman solo but I actually fish from the front and use a standup paddleboard paddle instead of the push pole. If you don't put weight upfront while you're on the stern you'll have major hull slap. I however don't have a poling platform but use a casting platform for poling from the stern. They're cool ass little skiffs I love mine.
That’s how I do it. Never left home without a SUP paddle

· Registered
6,511 Posts
Dang that’s not what I was wanting to hear but if it works then that’s what matters.
Do you have a gladesman? I had a shadowcast before and it really didn't work to well the main reason the gladesman works is because of the narrowness of the skiff. It's easier than it sounds a small paddle is easier to deal with than a push pole whenever a fish is sighted and your trying to juggle that a d a fly rod and the skiff will float in almost nothing.

· Registered
6,511 Posts
No but I’m thinking about getting one for solo fishing. But it might not be for me. Wanting something I can pole and fish from efficiently
It's not that difficult really just takes a little getting use to and they are tippy but I'm 52 and only fallen out once not the boats fault I stepped off the front deck onto my throw cushion which flew out from under my feet and I went over the side. Thankfully it was only about a foot deep and a grass flat, they aren't for everyone but are a very capable skiff. I would reach out to someone around you maybe you could get a ride from someone if you are in Swfl I'd be happy to take you on one.

· Registered
877 Posts
It is paddleboard tippy, but very stable when you walk the centerline. For reference, I’m 30 and pretty agile at 155 lbs. The simplicity of a gman is what’s most appealing when you’re fishing by yourself.

Back story: It was my dream skiff in the fact that I have a bigger boat, but could bring someone with me that I can’t do with a paddle board. The tidal creek in my neighborhood gives you 2 hours before and after high tide to get out on the water, but with the gman I get an extra hour on each side of the tide because it drafts so little.

You seriously won’t know if it’s right for you until you actually get on one, but if you accept it for what it truly is, you’re going to love it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.